WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dcore-101  (Read 24903 times)

Offline sm8ps

Re: dcore-101
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
for example, it would be honest to warn users who dl alsamixer, whose settings, if not appropriate, can produce damages.
In fact I read that in the dcore forum somewhere, I gave it a cautious try, and by me it was true, so I have to thank dcore community for that useful knowledge now.
Since it seems that info is kept somehow unknown to the mass of users, dcore could step already ahead ;)
Would you please be more specific about the kind of damage and provide some sources? I would not know what to dig around for myself.

I'm spending my last 2 weekends in digging out the "unofficial" ones... probably those are the remains of old tests, forgotten, use-drop codes, and so on... I don't know why they are kept hidden... anyway, they are coming out extremely useful (...)
I just say one: did you know you can already now exclude packages from importing, just putting them in a file named "PKGEXCLUDELIST"?
Let me set up a page (or extend the existing one) about this subject and then you are invited to please add your valuable findings there. I shall ping you by PM, OK?

I built my whole new system on those hidden features, at such a level that, without them, there would NOT be my new system, at all ;D
Would you care to exhibit your system on a page under http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:welcome#sample_installations? It sounds very interesting!

Offline dicorer

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Would you please be more specific about the kind of damage and provide some sources? I would not know what to dig around for myself.
I read it here http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18225.0.html , I did exactly what that person did, it happens the same, since I can't touch my speakers (inside the case) I put my nose on the holes from where the sound comes out, and after few secs it started smelling funny... I cut out the power at once.
You can try yourself, but careful, put your nose there!

Let me set up a page (or extend the existing one) about this subject and then you are invited to please add your valuable findings there. I shall ping you by PM, OK?
I have nothing against sharing my discoveries, but its a lot of stuffs and efforts in reorganizing, I don't know how many people would be really interested in that...

Would you care to exhibit your system on a page
my dcore box is very basic and generic, xorg,fluxbox,pcmanfm,leafpad,alsa,wireless,opera ... what is amazing is the size: 67 Mbytes  ... ;D

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
Hi dicorer
I read it here http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18225.0.html , I did exactly what that person did, it happens the same, since I can't touch my speakers (inside the case) I put my nose on the holes from where the sound comes out, and after few secs it started smelling funny... I cut out the power at once.
You can try yourself, but careful, put your nose there!

That individual caused their own problem by setting all the volume controls to max and overdriving the speakers. Alsa has no
knowledge of the speakers power ratings nor of the capability of the amplifier driving them. When you set the controls on an
audio system too high it will clip the peaks of the waveform. The sections of the waveform that are clipped are applying a DC
voltage to your speakers and causing them to heat up. Speakers are not designed to handle DC voltages.

Offline dicorer

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
Thank you for your technical explanation of that phenomena :)
What I want to say is that, users deserve to know that "playing" with sound settings (in Linux/dCore is alsa), they can damage their speakers.
When I was young, I played with car stereos too, to bump up the sub-woofers and attract chicks :) but I was warned by many sides to pay attention to many technical details which could damage my very heavy and expensive sub-woofers ;)
Other matter is PCs, as for PCs, I work with PCs from the time of Commodere64  8) and never heard, before now, of such a thing as, play a note on your PC and burn your speakers.
But as I see, it is reality, and whatever is the cause I thing other users should be warned, as I was.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2015, 01:13:10 AM »
It is no different on Windows or OS X, or your stereo set.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dicorer

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2015, 01:27:49 AM »
Thanks curaga for your opinion, but you are not right ;)
I don't want to keep going on this OT, but I have to inform you that on Windows there is no such "complicated" mixer as alsamixer.
Btw, it so happen that on the same PC, I have a partition with Windows, and there, I have often to push the volume to 200% on VLC, to hear properly the dialogues.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2015, 04:54:48 AM »
dicorer - Does not alsa by default start with all channels muted?  So it is up to you to test and see what level you want them on, if nothing else just not  to be uncomfortably loud. 

Offline nitram

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
Sorry for also being off-topic, but this doesn't make sense. To me Alsa blew my speakers is not valid. Alsa is not to blame. When i open alsamixer on my system without sound level persistence, default master volume is not muted but set <50%. For argument sake, even if default volume was set higher, wouldn't it be logical to check volume level before play testing sound...and if using exterior speakers turn down the volume dial beforehand. Analogy: playing with a loaded handgun, accidently shot myself, stupid gun, must warn everyone that loaded guns are dangerous  ???

Offline dicorer

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »
this OT is becoming very annoying...
I don't personally care is the sound mixer for Linux is produced by alsa-corporation or capitanamerica-noprofit.
In the sound mixer available for OS Linux, there are lots of options, if someone who is not expert, set an incorrect option, that can damage the speakers.
That's a fact.
If you shoot yourself with a gun, you can't complain with the gun, because you grew up from the childhood everybody told you, movies, songs, school, guns are dangerous.
If you damage your speakers in your tiny pc, because you tried that option in the sound mixer for Linux, then nobody never told you, sound mixers for Linux are dangerous.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »
dicorer,
You are saying that the sound in Linux in general is dangerous.  Even if so, that is not an issue with dCore and I don't think we are interested in the Linux vs Windows sound.

Offline dicorer

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
Let it be so then.
It started as an OT, but now I see it might be not.
I tested what that individual wrote, exactly under dCore-utopic, using alsa downloaded by sce-import.
As I said previously, I never heard of a sound mixer capable to produce hardware damages.
I used lots of OSs and never had such a issue.
Now I verified myself, this issue is real, verifiable for sure under dCore.
So if I were you, I would not rush as usual, denying and/or ignoring responsibilities and issues.

Said so, I see now clearly your attitude towards my efforts in improving this tool.
I had a bunch of glitches (or better, bugs) more to report, but I'm realizing its just useless.
I'll leave that to someone else, and good luck Ladies ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
Good by troll.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
+1   

I have been patient, too patient while I watched one person waltz in and monopolize the dCore forum area  and my time here which the drama would eventually cause users and contributers to lose interest.  dicorer was rude from the start, was given chances but now has been banned. 

Now we can move on with our usual business here.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »
If you shoot yourself with a gun, you can't complain with the gun, because you grew up from the childhood everybody told you, movies, songs, school, guns are dangerous.

My goal is to have everybody grow up from childhood and have an elaborate source telling them how to get going with dCore.  :)

Back to topic now! I have put forth some two pages intended as technical reference of the boot process and its associated scripts for the rest of us. http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:welcome?&#technical_reference

I honestly do not know how much good it can do without studying the source code itself but maybe it can help others get a quicker over-view of how things work. There are still quite some big gaps, both in my understanding as well as in the exposition. So I would like to ask anybody with enough of an overview to point out any clues that I have missed. As of now, I am still working through the rest of the code and probably will get back with a list of questions.

Other than that I cleaned out http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:welcome?&#core_concepts.

Cheers!
sm

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
Great changes to the wiki sm8ps! Especially having a more complete installation-guide, instead of my modified copy-pasta of the README.
But as it's now, the link to the sample installations isn't very useful ^^
The reasoning behind having a simple installation "script" at the introduction was just to show how simple it is. Hopefully it will be as simple as running an installation script in the future, and we can boast with that in the into instead ;)
Well, I don't have much time to spare installing and testing it, but I can at least outline some theoretical installations.

I don't want to continue the drama, but banning will probably not do much good. Remember: you don't have to deal with it yourself -- recruit the community.
All you need to do is make the standards clear, and anyone violating those standards will be dealt with by the community. Not suggesting lynching -- as that's the kind of world we live in. But if we lived in a world following basic principles, and people were properly educated... all we'd need is to communicate our standards, and the other person will be enlightened ^^
*Unicorns and butterflies appears all over the screen*

Damn, those Gentoo ebuilds... well, that will have to wait until I finish my super-GUI for Linux. Then you will just be able to download a proper Alsa config with a click as well, and many other useful config files.
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts