WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HP 2000-2b19WM Notebook Card(bus) Reader  (Read 2980 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
HP 2000-2b19WM Notebook Card(bus) Reader
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »
I have not yet dug to see the exact specs, and HP's site lists two possible chipsets (for one machine?) for the SD card reader, but thus far I haven't found driver support within the repo that handles this device.  Has anyone already covered these grounds?  TIA!

Windows lists it as: RealTEK PCIE Card Reader
VEN_10EC
DEV_5229 (RTL5229 PCIe)
SUB_188B103C
REV_01

NOTE: I'm guessing/pretty sure this is the driver, but it may already exist elsewhere within TC thus why I'm asking.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:05:48 AM by centralware »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: HP 2000-2b19WM Notebook Card(bus) Reader
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:50 AM »
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/MFD_RTSX_PCI.html

The driver for it is not enabled in our config, so you'll need to build a custom kernel.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:58:11 AM »
Thanks...  was 'fraid of that! :)  I've been putting off building a kernel compilation environment long enough, it seems.
Quick related question (kernel) if you don't mind...  are there any known caveats building an x86 kernel running on an x64 TC or vice-versa?  (Don't recall whether or not it was required to build x86 under x86 and 64 under 64.)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:07 AM »
You'd need to cross-compile x86_64 on x86 and vice versa

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
@Juanito: I'm not experienced with CROSS_COMPILE="(toolchain)" so unless it's a hair shy of rocket-science, it may be better just loading up a machine with 86x64 for sake of simplicity, but out of curiosity, what does it entail?

Example: I have TC4x86 running on a single-core with a few gigs of RAM.  Compiling x86 takes about 45 minutes (after a few drivers are added and a couple tweaks.)  Thanks to compile-tc I don't even have to hunt libraries and the likes, so you guys have made it rather idiot proof for me.

The build script just extracts the txz, renames the output directory to linux-3.0.21-x86, copies over the x86 config and launches time make bzImage and after a good night's sleep, short vacation or another bachelor degree, vmlinuz_3.0.21_x86 is sitting there waiting for something to do.

I created a clone of the same script and just renamed it to build64.sh and modified accordingly so it had its own home and copied over the x64 config.  That's the end of mods in that direction as I'm unsure what to compile with thus I had to stop.  Now I can grab another server (same make/model) and just swap kernel and images, load the appropriate software extensions and mirror the release/src directory onto it and we're off to the races (snail race!) but that only gains a compiled kernel...  and I walk away still oblivious as to what I needed to do for cross-compiling under 'nix.

If it's a book to write, please just note accordingly and I'll dig online when time permits as I don't want you to get stuck in an entire how-to post; you've got better things to do! :)  If it's only a few steps and an extension or two, I'd be very grateful for your assistance!

Note: I'll be repeating this with 5.x 86/64/pure as well on another machine; I'm just now getting started so there hasn't been too much time invested 'yet'.  If there are differences between 4x and 5x please note there as well if time permits.

Best regards,

T.J.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
I think you'd be better off compiling natively where possible, but there is the toolchain64 extension that you could use.

You could also read up on the background on the cross-compiled linux from scratch site.