WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore 6.0 Beta200  (Read 16673 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: piCore 6.0 Beta200
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
Hi Steen and Meo

situation is not so bad with 3.14.y as you say. Branch was created 8 month ago, but there are updated which are one month old only.

You are right, kernel development effort is focusing on Raspbian stable 3.12.y kernel and it is the most advenced in terms of Raspberry, while 3.17.y and 3.18.y are experimentals for example used to develop device tree or other features, but much behind on audio SoC support for example or has issues with wifi device support. Now as I see 3.17.y/3.18.y can't be used as a stable kernel in near future for us. We can make a decision to be conservative and use the mainstream Raspberry kernel, 3.12.y. I will make a 3.12.35 kernel and see how it goes.

Béla
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline meo

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Hi Béla!

Sounds good! Will try when posted.

Kind regards,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
Hi Béla,

I've installed this image and followed my tutorial for setting up squeezelite.
But it isn't working.
There are no sound devices available:
Code: [Select]
tc@4-Gooseberry-PortableStereo:~$ sudo aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
tc@4-Gooseberry-PortableStereo:~$

But the USB soundcard is seen by lsusb.
Any tips?

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Gerrelt@

Thanks, will check.
Béla

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
Hi Béla,

Never mind, I forgot to install "alsa-config"

After running this:
 tce-load -wi alsa-config.tc

I got my sound devices back!

Greetings,
   Gerrelt.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

Offline jgrulich

• GRULICH DESIGN - R&D Lab.
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Béla,

I'm testing the X version now. Wifi seems to be working well.
 I've found that the tce applications manager is still working too slow. Same as for Beta 1, 2 and 100. Same when loaded from GUI, or command line terminal.
 Another issue is with the libs, or directories when installed the cmus media player.
libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. But ncurses.tcz is installed well.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
Jan

thanks for testing and feedback.

I've found that the tce applications manager is still working too slow. Same as for Beta 1, 2 and 100. Same when loaded from GUI, or command line terminal.

Which function is slow? Please provide details.

Another issue is with the libs, or directories when installed the cmus media player.
libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. But ncurses.tcz is installed well.

Thanks for reporting. cmus must be rebuilt against the new version of ncurses.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:39:25 PM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
cmus updated in repo. Please note new dependencies.
Béla

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 11:37:11 PM »
Hi Béla,

Overall respond speed is slow. Seems that the communication is somehow delayed. When I enter, or click the command, there is no response for several seconds. After another command enter the delay is again and again. The delay is even for more than 10 seconds. Means to install something which takes 1 minute in 5.3.1 distro, in 6.0 takes more than 5 minutes.

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »
Even the mirror picker takes roughly 30 seconds instead of five.

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
cmus is working well now.

Good job.  :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
Hi Béla,

Overall respond speed is slow. Seems that the communication is somehow delayed. When I enter, or click the command, there is no response for several seconds. After another command enter the delay is again and again. The delay is even for more than 10 seconds. Means to install something which takes 1 minute in 5.3.1 distro, in 6.0 takes more than 5 minutes.

I can't reproduce this, on my system it works fast as expected. Can you check is it a generic network issue or reletad just to apps?

Are you using wired or wireless connection?

Which repo is used? Default repo.tinycorelinux.net must be ok from your location.

What is the ping time to your router and other sites?

Is your system date and time correct?
Béla

Offline bdtc

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Using RPi B+ with piCore 6.0 Beta 200-X. I can't load mirror.tcz. Every time I format the sd card and put piCore back on it it says the mirror.tcs file is invalid to load. I had tried to manually load it as well and same result.

I just checked the contents of /opt/tcemirror and it only has the repo.tinycorelinux.net url. I even created the directory /opt/localmirrors as the ApBrowser said to do that but it didn't help.

I can ping multiple internet sites and my own network computers but am unable to access the internet via anything but the terminal. The ApBrowser can't access the internet and it's probably because it can't load the mirror tcz.

I'm frustarted as it looks like piCore would be an excellent OS for my Pi but even with the older non-release candidates (the stable version) I had this problem. Hence the reason I tried this one.

I had to reformat my sd cards via my dad's Windows 7 PC as I think my Macbook Pro is corrupting them even when using a very old USB SD Card reader with an adapter. But I re-downloaded this OS on my dad's Win7 laptop and installed it to the card using Win32DiskImager that was recommended via raspberrypi.org. So I'm not sure how to help here other than let you know that for whatever reason the mirror.tcz file is either corrupt in the OS image itself or something is odd about my setup that is causing this issue. Please let me know if you know what the problem is and if I can fix it. Thank you.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Using RPi B+ with piCore 6.0 Beta 200-X. I can't load mirror.tcz. Every time I format the sd card and put piCore back on it it says the mirror.tcs file is invalid to load. I had tried to manually load it as well and same result.

Did you expand the file system as it is written in README file?
Béla

Offline bdtc

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »

Did you expand the file system as it is written in README file?

Nope. I didn't read that section because the fist part of that section states: "Base system, piCore-5.x has only the first partitions;"

I'll try expanding it when I get back to working on my Pi. It's not easy for me to be able to read what is on my TV since the text is so small compared to the size of the TV, so it's inconvenient to have to work with it that way. I have no other way to view X other than trying to figure out how some people use their current laptop or android tablet screens as the monitor. And I'm annoyed with running X in VNC on my laptop but I can't even do that with piCore yet. If ever. I haven't even tried to see if SSH is working yet.

I really like piCore so far, except the part that I can't install anything. It's super fast but I would want to install it permanently to an SD card so that my RAM is free for regular RAM-based tasks. It's only got 512MB ram.  Thanks.