WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: midori  (Read 13523 times)

Offline kalu

midori
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
It would be great if there's a Midori extension for TC v5.4. We would like to replace our kiosk thin client products with Midori because it's a lot lighter than Firefox. I would try to contribute (somehow) if that happens. So, pretty please! ;D

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: midori
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »
How about the fifth fltk browser on tc v6.0 - it's much lighter still.

Offline kalu

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »
It was my boss's decision. Is it comparable in terms of stability and functionality? I'm still new :-[, so I don't think I have much to say about anything, unfortunately..

Otherwise, I might have to just install Midori from source. Is there a guide on how to install from source in TC or is it just like how it's usually done in other Linux systems?

Offline kalu

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »
And I'm curious why you suggest fltk browser over the many other light weight browsers, is it best supported or most popular in TinyCore, because that could be a good argument to give to my boss. I'm gonna try it right now...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
Do fifth has a kiosk mode where user can't go back to op system?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:23:46 AM »
Fifth is already in the repo, while midori is not yet compiled there. It doesn't currently have any kiosk mode though.
edit: For a single, full-screen window, there's not much point in locking down a browser. It would be faster to code a new app using webkitfltk, afterall such a kiosk window doesn't need much beyond a webview.

For compiling instructions, see the book and wiki.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:25:48 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
And I'm curious why you suggest fltk browser over the many other light weight browsers, is it best supported or most popular in Tinycore...

The tinycore gui applets use fltk, so fifth uses libs that are already loaded.

Offline kalu

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »
Thank you all, for your answers..!

The tinycore gui applets use fltk, so fifth uses libs that are already loaded.

That's a good reason... I'll see if that works with us..

For compiling instructions, see the book and wiki.

I found it!!

Offline jls

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
Hi
u can build a midori extension using https://code.google.com/p/tc-ext-tools/source/browse/packages/midori but tc-ext-tools itself should be updated
dCore user

Offline kalu

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Hi all, need a big help compiling here. I get an error like this for trying to compile Midori on TC v5.4:

-- valac 0.24.0 found
-- checking for modules 'libxml-2.0>=2.6;sqlite3>=3.6.19;gmodule-2.0;gio-2.0>=2.32.3;libsoup-gnome-2.4>=2.27.90'
--   package 'libxml-2.0>=2.6' not found
--   package 'sqlite3>=3.6.19' not found
--   package 'gmodule-2.0' not found
--   package 'gio-2.0>=2.32.3' not found
--   package 'libsoup-gnome-2.4>=2.27.90' not found
CMake Error at /tmp/tcloop/cmake/usr/local/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:341 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /tmp/tcloop/cmake/usr/local/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:395 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:116 (pkg_check_modules)

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:127 (if):
  if given arguments:

"VERSION_GREATER" "2.29.91"

Unknown arguments specified

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/tc/midori-0.5.9/_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

I don't understand because the current versions of these packages are libxml2.tcz v2.9.0, sqlite3.tcz v3.8.5.0, libsoup-gnome.tcz v2.42.2 (according to tce-ab), which are higher than the required versions from the error message. And I just installed TC, so my system must have the latest versions (I don't really know yet how to check for versions of downloaded extensions). And they're already loaded because this happens when I try to load them:

tc@box:~/midori-0.5.9$ tce-load -i libsoup-gnome sqlite3 libxml2
libsoup-gnome is already installed!
sqlite3 is already installed!
libxml2 is already installed!
tc@box:~/midori-0.5.9$

Help, I have much experience with GNU/Linux systems, but for compiling nothing much beyond './configure && make && make install'.

This was the instruction from Midori:
====== Build the code ======

mkdir _build
cd _build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
make
sudo make install

Hi
u can build a midori extension using https://code.google.com/p/tc-ext-tools/source/browse/packages/midori but tc-ext-tools itself should be updated

That'd be great, but I don't know how to use it yet. If this method is the cleaner way, more efficient in the long-term but has a somewhat steeper learning curve, I'm gonna try to do it when I have some free time at the office, because at the moment I'm kinda panicky because I sense some impatience among superiors with my work/training.

How about the fifth fltk browser on tc v6.0 - it's much lighter still.

I tried installing fifth, but I'm guessing it's not supported in tc v5.4 :( . When is tc v6.0 coming out?

Offline kalu

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
And I've also inserted the "Suggested compiler flags on x86 (for compatibility)", "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ..", "touch /tmp/mark" as the creating-extensions wiki had suggested, but it still gave the same error message as before :(
Did I miss something?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »
you need the -dev extensions to be installed to compile:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -i libsoup-gnome-dev sqlite3-dev libxml2-dev

Offline kalu

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
you need the -dev extensions to be installed to compile:
$ tce-load -i libsoup-gnome-dev sqlite3-dev libxml2-dev
Thanks Juanito, it worked. But now other, similar error messages start to appear. So I'm guessing that whenever a package is claimed to be 'not found' when it is in fact installed, then the solution would just be to install the *-dev package along with it. (strange.. ??? ) And this is how I'm handling it right now, but I'm concerned that the more of these *-dev packages (and their depencies) I install the less free memory space my thin client gets. I'm trying to compile Midori on a thin client with 1G of HD and 1G of memory. I've never tried this. I've only had experience compiling in big computers using big Linux distributions. Do you think this is a sane idea, or it would take a long time or impossible to be carried out? I was thinking that it might be better if I compiled it in another computer in which I will install TC, but then the specifications would be specific to that computer wouldn't it?

tc@box:~$ free -m
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:          1000          653          347            0           54
-/+ buffers:                599          401
Swap:          241            6          235
tc@box:~$

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
I'm trying to compile Midori on a thin client with 1G of HD and 1G of memory. I've never tried this. I've only had experience compiling in big computers using big Linux distributions. Do you think this is a sane idea, or it would take a long time or impossible to be carried out? I was thinking that it might be better if I compiled it in another computer in which I will install TC, but then the specifications would be specific to that computer wouldn't it?

1gb hd space and 1gb ram should be enough to compile midori - you only need the -dev extensions to compile, not to run, midori.

You can also compile on a different machine running tinycore - using the standard tc standard compiler flags "-march=i486 -mtune=i686" will ensure that it will work on any i486 and up.

Compiling on a different machine running a different linux distro is more of a risk - midori may link against libs that do not exist in tinycore.

You could also compile on a different machine running tinycore with vm software

Offline kalu

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
Wow Juanito, thanks for the speedy yet comprehensive answer. I was just a bit worried because I'm downloading dependencies and they seem like heavy downloads and I haven't even begun compiling. Thanks again. If it takes too long, then I will just compile in another TCed computer.