WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: FIt-pc  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Merciless

FIt-pc
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »
I recently ordered a fit-pc 2 (http://fit-pc2.com) and am going to use it as a new toy.  Most likely I am going to use it for:

A light weight internal/external server
A media center (720p)
Forward packets from the wpa2 wifi to the wired ethernet port.
A toy, meaning that if it doesn't work for a week - no worries

Looking at Tiny Core Linux as the operating system to use.  I like the whole core concept of it. 

I had a few questions, is it reasonable that TCL can perform these functions?  I don't mind doing some work to get all this working.

I would also like to say thanks to the TCL team, i have been playing with TCL on a VM and think it is a very exciting OS!
Merciless

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: FIt-pc
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:53:10 AM »
Server, firewall, toy - of course TC can do ;)

Media center would be otherwise possible, but your choice of chipset is notoriously bad under linux. It's known as Poulsbo, and while being low-power and having nice video accel, it has no open drivers. It's not really an Intel chip, it's a PowerVR chip licensed by Intel.

There are binary drivers for an older Xorg release, meaning it wouldn't work with the 2-3 latest Ubuntu releases either.

The CPU is not enough to play 720p without any chipset accel. With XV it should be enough for regular codecs, xvid and so, but you won't get even XV without the driver.

For media center usage it's pretty much restricted to an old version of Ubuntu, since the binary drivers were built for it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.