Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Need to store /tmp on physical disk

(1/2) > >>

remus:
Hi all,

Am experimenting with Rdiffweb, and have discovered an error while trying to restore a folder. Rdiffweb allows restoration of a folder, as a zip file. It builds this zip file in /tmp

This works fine for folders I've tried that produce a 50mb or 76mb file. But the large folder that I just tried that is 500mb + produces an error.

Here's a small sample of the error

--- Code: ---Unable to restore! rdiff-backup output: Exception '[Errno 28] No space left on device'
--- End code ---

Google led me to : http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-external-mailing-lists-3/rdiff-backup-23/crash-with-false-no-space-left-on-device-raised-of-cla-123036/
Which suggests that the work is done in /tmp and if /tmp is not on a nice big disk then the effort could fail.

How do I set my /tmp dir to exist on /mnt/hda1/tmp in busybox, I'm guessing that once I know the code, I just add it to /opt/bootlocal.sh

Thanks All.

gerald_clark:
No you cannot put /tmp on a physical drive.
You could make symbolic link to a directory on hard disk under /tmp.
EX;
ln -s /dev/sda1/myworkdir /tmp/somedir.

core-user:
Would it not work the same as putting 'home' & 'opt' on your drive?

curaga:
Most apps have a config option, or accept the TMPDIR variable, which would only move rdiffweb's tmp, not the entire dir.

remus:
Hi curaga, I've looked into the rdiff-backup doc's here : http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html

And have found following promising info

--- Quote -----tempdir path
              Sets the directory that rdiff-backup uses for temporary files to
              the  given path. The environment variables TMPDIR, TEMP, and TMP
              can also be used to set the temporary files directory.  See  the
              documentation  of  the  Python tempfile module for more informa-
              tion.
--- End quote ---

I'm testing rdiffweb, which is a web browser based gui for rdiff-backup repository review and recovery. Not sure if I can feed that option to rdiffweb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version