WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: rc4 xvesa does not work at all into qemu  (Read 15887 times)

Offline Roberto A. Foglietta

• personal home page
rc4 xvesa does not work at all into qemu
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »
Code: [Select]
roberto@rafbook:/media/disk-2/distro$ md5sum -c tinycore_2.0rc4.iso.md5.txt
tinycore_2.0rc4.iso: OK
roberto@rafbook:/media/disk-2/distro$ qemu -kernel-kqemu -cdrom tinycore_2.0rc4.iso -boot d

after creating new .Xauthority it says "error: could not open display"

trying xsetup.sh it says: "Segmentation fault"

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: rc4 xvesa does not work at all into qemu
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »
I don't use Windows, so can't answer until I visit a willing friend who has such.
However, from reading posts, seems several users are running v2.0rc4 with Qemu.
I believe the Slim login manager was tested on v2.0rc4 and Qemu.
I also believe I read that a newer Qemu is required on Windows and that Qemu varied by Linux distribution. I could be wrong, as I don't  run Qemu either.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

• personal home page
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:58 AM »
I don't use Windows, so can't answer until I visit a willing friend who has such.
However, from reading posts, seems several users are running v2.0rc4 with Qemu.
I believe the Slim login manager was tested on v2.0rc4 and Qemu.
I also believe I read that a newer Qemu is required on Windows and that Qemu varied by Linux distribution. I could be wrong, as I don't  run Qemu either.

I do not use windows since 1^ june 1999!
Qemu is available for linux too.
 :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »
Works for me (qemu 0.10.0). (gosh I hate saying that, I remember how it feels when I'm the one reporting.)

Is there an update available? Or other kqemu modes (default or no-kqemu)?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

• personal home page
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 04:45:27 AM »
Works for me (qemu 0.10.0). (gosh I hate saying that, I remember how it feels when I'm the one reporting.)

Is there an update available? Or other kqemu modes (default or no-kqemu)?

qemu 0.9.1

this works

qemu -boot d -cdrom tinycore-2.0rc4.iso
this does not work

qemu -kernel-kqemu -boot d -cdrom tinycore-2.0rc4.iso
 ::)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:41:52 AM »
That makes it a Qemu bug; try the latest version?

• personal home page
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:10:11 AM »
That makes it a Qemu bug; try the latest version?

qemu 0.10.0 into ubuntu 9.04:

qemu -cdrom tinycore_2.0rc4.iso -boot d

It says: "MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC" and dies

At boot time using these: "tinycore nolapic noapic" works

Using -kernel-qemu option it shows the same warning message reported in my first post
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:13:19 AM by robang »

Offline quokka

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »
i get this exact problem also (on a windows box using qemu)....tc 1.4 works fine with qemu 0.91......but tc 2.2 doesnt.....its only a problem when you try to use kqemu....i would also like to take this opportunity to say that i am a big fan of tiny core......very handy for bioinformaticists who want to use linux-based programs on windows machines.... :) keep up the good work!

Offline dogflap

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »
This may be to late to help anyone but I had the same problem and checked the qemu help.  You need -no-acpi

e.g.    qemu -boot d -noacpi -cdrom tinycore_2.3.1.iso

worked for me when I got the ..MP8254 timer not connected to IOAP" problem.

Best regards.

Offline dogflap

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
I missed out the dash in -no-acpi i.e. qemu -boot d -no-acpi -cdrom tinycore_2.3.1.iso

Best regards  dogflap

Offline quokka

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:41:15 AM »
well...i have tried using different versions of qemu and kqemu (heres a good link to a windows binary of a recent qemu release:         http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5147       )  .....but no luck getting past this one........the error messages are as described in Roberto A. Fogliettas first post......tiny core 1.3 is still fine.......bummer....  :-\

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
well...i have tried using different versions of qemu and kqemu (heres a good link to a windows binary of a recent qemu release:         http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5147       )  .....but no luck getting past this one........the error messages are as described in Roberto A. Fogliettas first post......tiny core 1.3 is still fine.......bummer....  :-\
see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3103.0
big pc man

Offline quokka

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:42:12 PM »
thats a very nice guide you posted there.....unfortunately it doesn't seem to exactly solve my problem :( .....if you change your boot code to "qemu -kernel-kqemu -no-acpi -boot d -hda vdisk.img -cdrom tinycore_2.4rc1.iso" i think you will get the same error we have described....it was always my understanding that you need the "-kernel-kqemu" bit to actually use the kqemu accelerator..is that right??..unfortunately tiny core runs woefully slow for me without kqemu.....

one workaround i have found is to boot up with the Xorg-7.4 extension......when this is used "qemu -kernel-kqemu -no-acpi -boot d -hda vdisk.img -cdrom tinycore_2.4rc1.iso" works......i have noticed that when Xorg and kqemu is used, the window that tiny core opens in is somewhat smaller......

another thing i noticed was that my boot code could not contain "-std-vga" as i had previously used for my tiny core 1.3 setup......qemu just crashed...

a downside of loading Xorg at startup is it bloats things.......but...invariably a lot of the bioinformatics apps that i need to use have required this extension anyway.....so i guess i can live with that.....

...all of this indicates to me that something about X has changed between tiny core 1 and 2?......i tried loading up with the xvesa extension or xfbdev extension.....but it didnt change things......in any case.....i probably am just revealing that i have no idea what i'm doing haha!...i'm just a biologist!....

well.....maybe that might be enough info for people more knowledgeable than me to work out why this problem occurs....perhaps down the track i can learn how to make some bioinformatics-specific tiny core extensions... :)

cheers everyone

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
kernel-kqemu is not needed to use kqemu; it only uses it more. The default is user mode kqemu, which is somewhat slower, but still faster than -no-kqemu.

Of course this is on linux, I have no idea if it functions the same on Windows :P Also I use KVM, not kqemu for my accelerating (way faster, only available on linux).

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
kernel-kqemu is not needed to use kqemu; it only uses it more. The default is user mode kqemu, which is somewhat slower, but still faster than -no-kqemu.

Of course this is on linux, I have no idea if it functions the same on Windows :P Also I use KVM, not kqemu for my accelerating (way faster, only available on linux).

In Vista, user mode kqemu accelerates execution by a surprising amount. Without it tinycore runs too slow to be of much use but with kqemu tinycore/ opera for instance is useable (excluding flash video of course).
big pc man