WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: NOOB proof way to add firefox to tinycoreplus iso?  (Read 8152 times)

Offline harassedstudent

NOOB proof way to add firefox to tinycoreplus iso?
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:12:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how, in newbie (dumbed down) terms how to add firefox to my tinycoreplus iso. So that it is present when I run tinycore off my USB stick. I want to use the OS as live medium only. I have read other posts and know that it has to do with compiling the iso with the firefox tcz file in it but no idea which folder to add the file to or where to get the file from.

I read in another post that a simple way to do it was to boot tinycore, download firefox and then the tcz would be in the tce/optional folder. While this was the folder that was listed when I downloaded firefox from apps. When I ran ezremaster and navigated to that folder nothing was there.

I would prefer to add the latest version of firefox to the iso. My computer is running lubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: NOOB proof way to add firefox to tinycoreplus iso?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:35:41 AM »
If you're booting tinycore from a usb stick there's no need to use the iso and thus no need to remaster the iso to add firefox or any other extensions.

You can use the tc-install extension to install to usb stick.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
If TinyCore was booted from CD or .ISO (without a TCE directory on any other installed storage device), downloaded extensions are located in  /tmp/tce/optional/ .

Apart from EZRemaster you can also use IsoMaster (isomaster.tcz) to add files to an iso image. Just make sure you get all the needed dependancies. I just did that two days ago and I think it's actually the easiest/quickest way to edit an iso. However, replacing files can mess things up ("can't find initrd" and such errors) thus not really 'noob proof', but just adding files seems to work OK.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
Don't touch ISO, you do not need it. We are speaking about USB stick! Install TC on the USB stick, it is described thousand times on the forum, last few days ago. Than create /tce dir on the USB stick and install whatever you want from the repo (e..g. Firefox). Thats all.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
I'm not sure, bmarkus. While modifying an ISO can indeed be seen redundant if booting from USB, maybe thats exactly what harassedstudent wants to know how to do.
I used to have a USB stick with several ISOs which could be booted via GRUB2.
And the topic title says "NOOB proof way to add firefox to tinycoreplus iso?".

[...] how to add firefox to my tinycoreplus iso. So that it is present when I run tinycore off my USB stick. [...]

harassedstudent, can you be more specific? How exactly are you booting TinyCore?

A frugal USB installation of TinyCore with persistancy (a  /tce  directory) is probably the most noob proof way to carry Firefox around. No iso involved though.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
He want

1) Run it from USB
2) To have Firefox available

Of cource, you can remaster ISO just to get the same result as using it an a normal way at the end to introduce many tricks. But why to overcomplicate if the solution is simple?

The message for TC newbies is that while TC is different, it can be a fun and easy to start with.

But that's fine to learn ISO too. :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline harassedstudent

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »
Thanks all for your replies. I want to use tinycore from my usb without saving any persistent data as I want to use it to access my online accounts securely. I put tinycoreplus on my usb using netbootin. Everything works as I want it to. I would just like to cut out the fresh install of firefox every time I boot. Click and go.

If I understand correctly when I download firefox instead of letting it install to the default tcp folder. There is a folder I can direct the install to that means it will stay on my usb stick? I didn't want to set up a back up as the only data I want saved is that 1 installation. Plus my USB is an old one I'm trying to get use out of, only 128mb.

I wouldn't mind learning how to compile iso, that is if anyone has the patience to go through it with me? Don't want to be a newbie forever.  ;)   

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
You want the applications saved, but not the data, so a /tce directory with a normal usb install is correct. Just do not do a backup, and no state will be saved. Trying to do it via an ISO would just complicate matters.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline harassedstudent

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Hi curaga,

thanks for replying. What do I do then? Normally when I download firefox and install there firefox is gone when I next boot. I apologise if I'm missing something obvious.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
Using UNetbootin to install TinyCore on a USB stick is not the correct way. TinyCore will think it's on a CD, thus in cloud mode; no apps will be saved.

I'd suggest you start from the beginning. Boot TinyCore from CD - Use TinyCore's installer to reformat and set up a fresh installation on your USB stick. Then you can save apps like firefox but you don't need to use the backup feature. You could edit your  ~/.profile  file and change...
Code: [Select]
export BACKUP=1
to
Code: [Select]
export BACKUP=0
Then do a backup once, and TinyCore won't update your backup (by default) on shutdown.

Offline harassedstudent

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 03:02:55 AM »
Thanks all, will give it a go.