WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Live CD won't boot  (Read 4750 times)

Offline trustytrev

Live CD won't boot
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »
Hello,
      I have been unable to get the Tiny Core Live cd to boot on an old laptop.
It is a Compaq Armada 1598DT notebook.
The specs are:CPU:Intel Pentium MMX 266 MHz
                    Front Side Bus:66MHz
                    Memory:96MB
It gets as far as the boot selection but then stalls.Am I expecting to much from such a low spec machine?
I can't even get a usable command line.
I have managed to get DSL to load with a gui but need something more up to date.
I am wanting to us this machine just as an occasional  wireless print server as it has a self contained psu which means I would only have to power the printer and laptop up when required.
The drive of the machine is partitioned with an ext4 / and swap partition on which I have DSL working but I would like to replace that with TinyCore.
Any assistance would be most welcome.
Thanks.
trustytrev.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Live CD won't boot
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
Which CD are you trying to boot?
Does it have an RJ45 ethernet jack, or just wifi?
CorePlus may be too big for your RAM unless you choose one of the text boot options.
Since Core is just 2 files, you can add a new entry in your current boot loader's config file.
If you can boot to a command line with internet access, you can tce-load X and a window manager.

You should read the book: http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:33 AM »
In addition to booting text mode, add the "debug" bootcode to get more output. You can edit bootcodes by pressing tab at the entry in the menu.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline trustytrev

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Hello,
      I am using TinyCore version: 5.4.I have also been trying with the latest CorePlus as well.
Now you have mentioned it, the machine in question doesn't have a Lan Ethernet  socket or wifi which rules it out as unsuitable I suspect.I don't think a usb wifi adapter would be an option either as it probably means to many drivers and too much software would be required to achieve a viable server that way.
I think I will try with another higher spec machine I just happen to have prepared earlier. :)Not much, but at least it boots TinyCore.
Thanks.
trustytrev.