WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: x won't load  (Read 1816 times)

Offline saladin

x won't load
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
I'm trying to remaster the latest version of Tiny Core with ezremaster. I do not have an ethernet connection, so I've downloaded all of the extensions I want to a USB drive. When I boot it up in VirtualBox the extensions load automatically and everything works fine -- up until I try to remaster. I searched the forums, and it seems that the problem I'm having is that I don't have enough RAM. Easy enough to fix, right? I rebooted the computer under Tiny Core, thinking that if it's not supporting two operating systems and all the other unnecessary programs, it'll have enough RAM.

Well, it doesn't work like that. It won't automatically load the extensions (instead booting up the bare OS), and when I boot with tinycore tce=sdb1, X doesn't load. It just drops me to the command prompt, and the startx command does nothing.

I've tried this on three different laptops with exactly the same results. And yet it still works fine in VirtualBox with the same CD and the same USB drive.

How do I remaster this thing?

Offline coreplayer2

Re: x won't load
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
two boot codes to add at the boot command line are

waitusb=5  showapps

waitusb to provide time to detect usb thumb drives  and showapps to verify if apps are loading

Offline Misalf

Re: x won't load
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
I might be wrong but I think, dependant on the system, TC may fail to find the tcedir on its own. Not just due to a slow device. At least the described symptom is what I've seen in the past and is the same behavior. No extensions loaded and left at the prompt.
Just yesterday, I've installed a copy of TinyCore with ntfs-3g built-in along with Windows 7 on the same NTFS partition. It failed to create the tcedir symlink.

It worked with UUID. I didn't try LABEL but might work as well.
Code: [Select]
tce=UUID="NUMB3R5NUMB3R5NUMB3R5"/TinyCoreLinux

UUID and LABEL can be displayed via blkid:
Code: [Select]
blkid /dev/sdxY
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)