WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore and Wolfson Audio Card  (Read 19166 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: piCore and Wolfson Audio Card
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 02:16:44 AM »
piCore-6.0alpha510.tar uploaded to http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/armv6/test_releases/ and alsa modules updated with arizona mfd modules.  Hopefully it works now.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 04:26:02 AM »
Bela

Thanks for the try, but I'm afraid that the wolfson card is not supported in the 3.17.2 kernel. Now I could load the arizona-spi but instead the snd-soc-wm5102 and snd-soc-rpi-wsp are missing

In modules.dep for 3.17.1 I find:
kernel/sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-wm5102.ko
and
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-rpi-wsp.ko

Code: [Select]
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-hifiberry-dac.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-hifiberry-dacplus.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-hifiberry-digi.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-hifiberry-amp.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-rpi-dac.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-iqaudio-dac.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-rpi-wsp.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
kernel/sound/soc/dwc/designware_i2s.ko: kernel/sound/soc/snd-soc-core.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm-dmaengine.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-compress.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko

But in the new 3.17.2 I can't find
snd-soc-wm5102.ko
snd-soc-rpi-wsp.ko

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 04:44:14 AM »
Thanks. It looks better at least. I will check missing modules, stay tuned.
Béla

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
Hi Bela

I think what happened is.
The pull request for support of the wolfson card was pulled into 3.17.1, but when they updated to 3.17.2 they decided not to pull in the wolfson support (or they forgot it) https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/705 .
Anyway I have asked at their github if it is included in 3.17.2 - but I suspect it is not included in the most recent version.

So you should not waste too much time on this for the time being
Steen

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 05:49:58 AM »
On the other hand most of the Wolfsson modules are in 3.17.2 and not removed. Anyhow Wolfson is not my fovirite hw vendor
Béla

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:57:32 AM »
I completely agree.
I think they produced a good audio card, however, because of their very poor software support it is of no use for most people.
So I would advice to find an alternative audio card, which by the way are coming from many different vendors.

So lets wait until the wolfson card is properly supported in the kernel.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
You can open a ticket at https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues and ask the status and whether somene got it already working. Also the rafberrip forum may help.

If you can provide proper config parameters I will apply them in the kernel, otherwise keep actual one which looks ok in general and I do not spend time to investigate the Wolfson mess.

Béla

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »
Hi Bela

I got a response from the guys at Wolfson. In short the support for the wolfson card is not included in the most recent 3.17 version.

Code: [Select]
Hi, We haven't pushed this change in to the 3.17 kernel yet. The plan was to get this in to the 3.12 kernel which is what this pull
request is for and then we would start to look at the issue in 3.17 and forward porting this driver. There will be some of our code in the
3.17 kernel as this will have been picked up from the mainline kernel.

So maybe in the future this card will be supported, but at the time most users have moved on to a B+ or other small ARMs computers.

Steen
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:54:59 AM by sbp »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
Hi Steen

thanks fo the info. I do not understand how B+ is related to the kernel but never mind. It is not there. I will disable it in the config, recompile the final 3.17.2 kernel for piCore 6.0 When Wolffson will be really supported we can decide how to manage it.

Regards... Bela
Béla

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
Hi Steen

thanks fo the info. I do not understand how B+ is related to the kernel but never mind. It is not there. I will disable it in the config, recompile

I think that you will find that there is nothing to disable as it is not available in the present config file. However, if you are reusing your config file from 3.17.1 than probably there will be some leftovers.

the final 3.17.2 kernel for piCore 6.0 When Wolffson will be really supported we can decide how to manage it.

Thats a good plan

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
I have used 3.17.1 config for 3.17.2 with oldconfig so it is there with many modules including arizona modules used by wolfsson modules....
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »
3.17.2 rebuilt, Wolfsson/Arizona dropped. It is the final, no more kernel change. Will upload soon.
Béla

Offline lykkedk

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 06:40:27 AM »
Hi... Good work!

Will 3.17.2 then be the kernel, for next release (piCore 6) ?

Regards;
   Jesper.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »

Will 3.17.2 then be the kernel, for next release (piCore 6) ?

Yes
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
Béla