WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CorePlus freezes  (Read 3246 times)

Offline trustytrev

CorePlus freezes
« on: September 18, 2014, 05:15:01 AM »
Hello,
       I am trying to boot and install CorePlus iso cd onto an old low spec Compaq Armada 1598DT notebook but the load up stops at Loading /boot/core.gz.....
I can load to the command line but don't know how or if I can proceed from there. Is this issue likely to be the very low specification of the notebook.
It has a 266MHz Pentium processor and only 92MB of memory  and the FSB is 66MHz. It has a 4GB harddrive.
My intention was to use this machine as a wireless remote linux printer server. Is this likely to be possible using TinyCore please?
Thanks.
trustytrev.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: CorePlus freezes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Perhaps it might be freezing because an extension is being loaded that has been compiled for a higher spec cpu than yours.

All x86 extensions should be compiled for i486, but I've seen some (I don't recall which) have been compiled for i686

Offline trustytrev

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:36:11 AM »
Hello,
       Thanks for the reply. Does this mean TinyCore is unsuitable for my machine? Is there a command I can use in a terminal I could partition and format the hard drive with please?
trustytrev.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
well that might not be the actual reason for your problem, it was just a guess - most of the extensions are compiled for i486.

You can use the fdisk command to partition and format your hard drive, but be very careful that you do not delete something useful.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:50:17 AM »
92M of ram is not much.  CUPS plus wireless might be a tight squeeze.
Also, if you don't even know how to partition and format a drive, how are you going to build a wireless print server?

Offline trustytrev

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »
Hello,
Also, if you don't even know how to partition and format a drive, how are you going to build a wireless print server?
Who said that?
trustytrev