WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: the Swap DRIVE/file (and Linux)  (Read 3943 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: the Swap DRIVE/file (and Linux)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 02:25:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I've read that, on Windows 32bit with more than 4GB installed in the PC, one can still use the 'unreachable' RAM via RamDrive and put a swapfile there.
Can zswap zram swap use this area of RAM beyond 4GB or is there a similar thing like RamDrive for Linux to use the otherwise unused RAM?

There's no magic like that on Linux. On a 32-bit kernel you're limited to 4GB RAM, on a 64-bit kernel (or 32-bit + PAE) you can use it all. There's no reason not to use a 64-bit kernel if you have that much RAM, all apps are compatible.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Hello Team and members,

well....it seems the topic sparked a fair few postings about the topic  of swap.

THat's good right.

for me.....uh......just kind of leaving   my set up  while it works for what i need it to do...

it plays TV....full screen    filmon.com    (US and uk)    and also youtube and my chat cam web sites
are working good.

MOvies also work...from the free "REDDIT list" of free youtube hollywood movies.

Music works with streaming live web radio stations on ______mpg123      http

as the name implies,  "swapping' is kind of making a best of, but it seems to me that Tinycore
is so exceptionally well concieved that it's happy with any amounts RAM....covers a hardware
period of 15 years.  THere-abouts.

THankyou for your discussion , and i didn't want to open a can of worms for you.

Your support on this forum is very good.   Never a crossed line, and here to help.

many thanks

Vince.