WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Remaster On-Demand information requested  (Read 3248 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Remaster On-Demand information requested
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:36:32 AM »
I've only found a couple posts regarding on-demand and they don't seem to "hit the spot" for what I'm after.

I'm building (in-house script) a set of rebuilds which the outcome is a custom image and kernel for PXE and when those finish, to build the same customizations for burning onto CD.  Each "profile" has an identification name, the example given here is the BASIC profile.

Merged into the image are: Xvesa, Xprogs, flwm_topside and wbar along with a few hardware items (acpi/smart/etc) and all dependencies.
What I would like to do is have (on the CD) the ability to have on-demand items (such as Midnight Commander) for if/when they're called upon, but the structure as to how they're supposed to be implemented onto the CD is eluding me.

I haven't tried this yet, but I AM GUESSING it should be done as follows:
ROOT(CD)
\______    [boot]
    \____        core.gz
    \____        vmlinuz
    \____        [isolinux]
    \____        (sys/isolinux files)
\______    [optional]
\______    [ondemand]
\______    onboot.lst
\______    ondemand.lst

Again, this is merely a GUESS based on how the CD IMAGE is expected to be created versus how TC installs with tc-install.  The main question is that if I build it this way, will TC "see" and execute them accordingly?  (IF NOT, I can draw up a script and embed it into bootsync so that if sr# is mounted, check for and -o install the apps found...  it just seems overkill to do so.  (CDE I suppose is an option, but again, seems a bit over-kill if it's not truly needed.)

Thanks for your time!

~TJ~

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:35:56 AM by centralware »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline Misalf

Re: Remaster On-Demand information requested
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
/etc/sysconfig/tcedir/ondemand  is in the $PATH as the last item.
Scripts in that dir, with the same name as the executable, are used to just load the extension (also same name; i.e. "mc") and issue the command with the same name as the script.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: Remaster On-Demand information requested
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
Placing anything in /etc/sysconfig/tcedir as part of the mastering IN MY OPINION is going to cause havoc.

Follow:
vmlinuz/core.gz are launched.  core.gz contains "anything" in sysconfig/tcedir.
When the boot media is mounted (ie: sr0 or sda1) the TCE or CDE directory here is then soft-linked to /etc/sysconfig/tcedir...  conflict which I imagine is going to end up with an error such as "File Exists" or "...is a directory."  This is why I posted the question...  however, after reading up more about the CDE derivative, I was at first under the impression cde was a boot code (ie: cde=sda1/opt/onboot/demand type of thinking) but after dissecting a few ISOs I noticed it was a directory instead.  This works great for CD compilations, but will fall short on my intentions.

Thank you for your response, though!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair