WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "not found" on file I'm looking at  (Read 2373 times)

Offline volumetricsteve

"not found" on file I'm looking at
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
After copying quake 2 to /q2 and extracting the linux executables, I get a surprising error.   if I run "ls -a" on the /q2 directory, I can see the executable is in the directory i'm working in.  I've done chmod +x on it "/q2/quake2" and yet when I go to /q2 and type ./quake2 to run it, I get "/bin/sh: ./quake2: not found"  I'm not sure what to make of this..it's right there, so it seems like bash can't see it for some reason.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: "not found" on file I'm looking at
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
Load file.tcz and provide output of
Code: [Select]
file -kz /q2/quake2 && uname -a
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline volumetricsteve

Re: "not found" on file I'm looking at
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, though there have been other developments in my situation:

Of the two main choices for the quake 2 binaries, one of the tar files worked fine, one gives the behavior in my previous post.  Since then, I've switched to Yamagi Quake 2, which will be very different, i'msure, and I've moved my project to arch linux due to the amount of reconstructing I'd have to do to tiny core to make it fit with my goals. 

The only other time I've had an error in linux that gave me a "file not found" error for a file that was absolutely where I thought it was, the issue had to do with the file system having some weird interaction with the shell/file manager.

Out of curiousity, what does the command:

"file -kz /q2/quake2 && uname -a"

do?  Thanks again for your interest.

Offline coreplayer2

"not found" on file I'm looking at
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
Most likely the cause of "file not found" in this case is that runtime libraries needed for a 64bit binary have not been found on the system.  I'm thinking you're attempting to run a 64bit binary on tc-5.3 (32bit), whereas if you'd tried on corepure64 you would probably have been successful. 

The above command would have told you the truth
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:11:49 PM by coreplayer2 »