WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: gsview  (Read 4243 times)

Offline dtopham

gsview
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
I am using TinyCore 5.x and wanted to add the gsview extension to view pdf files using ghostscript.  I can't locate gsview in the APPs tools and wonder how it is decided what should be included in the (current) repository. Can I tell the app tool to use a previous repository? I am guessing that when a new version of TinyCore comes out, someone (a volunteer?) must rebuild all extensions? Then it may just be a matter of time and energy when we see an app that was available in a previous version of tc to appear in the repository?  Or is it a decision of the tc developers to leave one out due to less demand or dependency problems? I anticipate that I would like to help out porting new/missing apps to new versions. What is that process?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: gsview
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
Please go ahead and test gsview and it's deps from the tc-4.x repo in tc-5.x - if they work, they can be copied across

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
I tried it and it doesn't work.

Offline dtopham

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Please go ahead and test gsview and it's deps from the tc-4.x repo in tc-5.x - if they work, they can be copied across

I don't see how to change the repository choice in the app tool.  Should I download it manually from a webrowser?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Yes, or  wget it.

Offline dtopham

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
Here is result (attached):
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:59:33 PM by Rich »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
You also need to download the dep files along with the tcz files.

Also cut and paste the text here instead of posting images.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:42:06 PM by gerald_clark »

Offline dtopham

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
You also need to download the dep files along with the tcz files.

Also cut and paste the text here instead of posting images.

I don't see a dep file in 4.x  ... just the gsview.tcz file  ... but I will try getting the errors for missing deps one-at-a-time and install each as they make themselves known...  e.g. I saw the first one can be fixed by installing gtk1.tcz ... then I get error on libgmodule ...  is there a process for finding deps?  or for installing them all at once?

p.s. libgmodule is not in 4.x either ...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:49:12 PM by dtopham »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
It is the extension name followed by .dep.
Look in your tce/optional directory for examples.
If you skip the dep file you will not get an error until you run the program.  At that point it is too late and you will need to reboot.
With the dep file you will get the error when you try to tce-load the extension.  It will tell you what extension is missing instead of which object file.

libgmodule is in both 4.x and 5.x.  It is in one of the deps you did not load because of the missing dep file.

tce-load -i each of the deps.  If it is not present, tce-load -w the extension first.

You will find there is a missing extension ghostscript_common I think.
As I posted earlier, I tried porting it over from 4.x to 5.x and it doesn't work.

You could use evince instead.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:25:34 PM by gerald_clark »

Offline dtopham

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
I found the dep file and will try that...hmmm..I rebooted, but that makes we wonder..isn't there a way to "uninstall" so I could start that process without a complete reboot?

Also, I looked here:  http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/
but see no sign of libgmodule...I also tried searching using the "provides" method in app tool, but none came up in 5.x for that one there either.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »
No. You cannot unload an extension.
Provides clearly shows that libgmodule is in glib1.tcz.

Offline dtopham

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
No. You cannot unload an extension.
Provides clearly shows that libgmodule is in glib1.tcz.

Ok, I don't know how I missed that! Sorry (newbie!).  I loaded all deps:

ghostscript_common
libgs_ps
gtk1
glib1

and then gsview runs and presents an error related to configuration (it can't find gs_init.ps)

searching around, I found that and set the path in gsview "advanced configuration" options.

next error, the version of ghostscript does not match  (it seems this version of gsview is expecting an earlier version (8.71) than the one in the same 4.x repository of tinycore (9.07) which doesn't make sense, so I am going to explore around some more...

It occurred to me that I would need to get a previous version of ghostscript installed (from where? 4.x? 3.x?), but that seems like going in the wrong direction, right?  It also seems to indicate that gsview should have dependency on ghostscript as well as just ghostscript_common.

Would you suggest trying to get previous version(s) of ghostscript to solve the problem?  Or find out if we can recompile gsview to use the current version of ghostscript (e.g. 9.07) .. I noticed that "Juanito" was listed in the change comments for the last ports of ghostview; perhaps he has some insight into how to proceed.

update:  I just rebooted and loaded ghostscript and all its dependencies from 4.x and then gsview does work, so it appears that solves the problem; however I don't think we can ask users to revert ghostscript back, right? So how to upgrade gsview?  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:07:45 AM by dtopham »