WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing Tinycore directly to USB-stick without burning CD-rom  (Read 8988 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Installing Tinycore directly to USB-stick without burning CD-rom
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
For whatever reason it seems the author(s) of this distro are ignoring this problem.  A very simple search or browsing of the forums and you can see this problem constantly (at least once per week someone is trying to get this right).

Interestingly enough the 2 "fixes" mentioned on the FAQ for using unetbootin are two options:

1) add a 2nd partition with /tce as a dir
2) rename cde to tce on the partition that unetbootin created

None of these work.

Authors don't you think enough people have tried to make this work that maybe it's an issue needing some attention?

Please do not post the same issue in more then one topic.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Yleisajattelija

Re: Installing Tinycore directly to USB-stick without burning CD-rom
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
Sorry for long delay for this topic, but I have been heavily overloaded lately.

But today I read some extlinux source code, and I think my guess is right, syslinux way to make bootable disk is ancient version of msdos/linux MBR-copier. Seems that current extlinux MBR copier (on MBR.S assembler module) is using INT13 -BIOS interrupt to read disk parameters.

This is not working with USB-stick -> very possible system failure. But I'm not 100% sure if there is some alternative method for USB-stick, yet.

Edit: I have uninstalled RAID hd on my system, I'm not sure how syslinux sees it, probably not at all.
Edit2: TC is booted from another USB-stick=current disk -> probably not relevant if HD visible or not
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:40:30 PM by Yleisajattelija »