WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wi-fi  (Read 9425 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: wi-fi
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
Hello,

THis same problem manifest again here. very recently...

Again, this is after very prolonged usage....maybe over 15 hours and it does exactly the same
thing and locks into a hard drive read loop.  Basically, the fault shows up about every 1 percent of usage time and persists for about an hour.

The Laptop, otherwise has performed perfect for a fortnight of heavy usage....and also the 13 prevoius years.

THis error, it hangs around.....maybe  say a while, a couple of boots.....and it seems that after
the machine is left and temperatures cool....it  works fine again.

I am certain it's an intermittent hardware fault now and somekind of chip creep error...after 13 years of heavy usage...electronic equipment can develop traits in it's performance.

The Hitachi hard drive (incompatability issues is a remote possibility).   ALso this machine will perform slightly intermittently on Tinycore......graphics will lock and black screens....then maybe a day or so later.....the exact same approach with loading extensions will work fine....

it could be chip creep....over 13 years of excessive usage of this laptop. Leaves intermittent faults.

i am not happy at a machine that wont be rock solid on some OS....will further test Tinycore and
maybe try Slitaz.

It would not be so bad it it was fixable software fault.....but it's looking to me like a hardware issue which persists...

O___0

Vince.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
interesting.

Gparted tool won't do anything with this hard drive.  It instantly reports an error.....say if you try to re-size the partition that is on there.  NTFS win32 partition (only thing on the drive and fresh)

so why won't gparted do anything with this hard drive...?

the stripping military grade tool i used earlier DID report that this drive had an error and block zero
and interestingly gparted "hicups" almost the instant it starts trying to perform an operation like say re-sizing the partition

This is strange.

I think there could literally be some-kind of compatabliity error with certain hard drives and this
motherboard....and it could have been a compaq laptop re-call way back in the 2000's

Hitachi hard drive

why do i think this?

well the hard drive works perfectly on win32 and linux....for prolonged periods of time...months
really....and only has a slight error as mentioned above in a microscopic amounts of that running time..... and the error goes away after an hour or so...or when temps have dropped and reboots issued.

strange indeed.

faulty hard drive?....or somekind of re-call laptop thing on HDD compatability?

Still, this does me no favors....i can't put a 1 gig SWAP file onto this hard drive for TCL.....gparted does not like the drive

next may even try unetbootin...to put TCL onto the actual machine

You see, TCL performance is very poor on a USB 2.0 swap....

Vince.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
Did you try to use ntfsprogs directly, rather than via gparted?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Hi cast-fish
Prior to resizing you should have Windows de-frag the drive a couple of times. Also, the drive can not be mounted when resizing.
the stripping military grade tool i used earlier DID report that this drive had an error and block zero ...
Are you are referring to a track 0 error, or maybe no free blocks available for remapping?

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:23 PM »
Hello,

THanks for the replies.

Juanto.....nope.  I have used Gparted years and it's very rare to refuse to do something to a HDD.
THe HDD Is fresh....fresh OS too.

Rich,  the drive was not mounted.  The drive was not defragged...did not need it .....win32 reported.

The military grade tool which reported "Block Zero error "sector" zero etc....nothjng about tracks.
(but completely re-running that military grade tool a second time from a cold boot reported NO problems ....and succeeded.....mentioned earlier)

You see, electronic equipment gets a thing called "chip creep" after long periods of time. Many industrial situations never ever switch off hardware, during it's entire lifecycle for this reason.

Gparted don't like the HDD....points to a faulty HDD.  The other tool also reported a fault on this hard drive.   It's actually the Hard drive that manifests the fault mentioned above....not other parts of the machine like screen, or keyboard signals or bios's unhappy

therefor

Vince

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 06:50:15 AM »
Hi cast-fish
he military grade tool which reported "Block Zero error "sector" zero etc....nothjng about tracks.
Sounds like the MBR might be failing. Partition size is stored there.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
Hello Rich and members, readers,

Uh ,  Rich....look what i googled

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP has announced it will recall memory modules in up to 900,000 laptops manufactured between March 2002 and July 2003.  Lockups and bluescreens can occur due to faulty interaction between various manufacturer DRAM modules and Intel chipsets.  HP’s replacement program will allow a customer to receive a small kit containing a screwdriver and new memory modules to replace the faulty memory.

The following HP notebooks are covered by this recall:

* Compaq Evo N610c, N610v, N620c, N800c, N800v, N800w, N1000c, N1000v
    * Compaq Presario 1500, 2800, x1000 and x1200
    * Compaq nx7000
    * HP Pavilion zt3000

---------------------------------------------------------------------

it is an n800v here.    And the years are those

Vince.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »
the figures are interesting

basically 1 million laptops....... at 2340 dollars each.    RR list Price in 2002

is  2.34 billion dollars. 

but as it is the "memory modules" those averaged about 200 dollars then maybe 250

so 1 million multiplied by 250 is

a quarter of a billion dollars........  (1/4 of ONE billion dollars)

Vince.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:43:28 AM by cast-fish »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
yeah also Rich

thanks for the advice on de-fragging the drive , before trying gparted resizing.

Did the de-frag and indeed, gparted worked. The drive how has a Linux swap.

Thanks for that.

Vin

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
yes.

It is Samnsung memory in this laptop also. Are they not the best? Still, it is listed as defective
if Samsung and in one of these 2002  n800v machines. (will cause fatal blue screens and lockouts
which is exactly what happens)

Found that removing the ram card , 30 secs then replacing it. Booting into an OS then plugging
in the hard drive solves the issue, once again.

The machine does not like the RAM mixed with the hard-drive and MB.....if you remove the hard
drive, tinycore works no matter what.   But introduce the hard drive, and even TCL won't boot
nevermind win32.    This performance all stops if the conflict resolves itself as mentioned in the
first paragraph and the laptop works fine , for possibly very long periods of time. Weeks.

So there is not all lost here....at all.   Makes you wonder how a mutli billibn HP empire can't
test 2 peripherals plugged into a device before selling a million of the devices.  They only had
6 types of RAM to try in 6 laptops.  The problem appears to be the RAM was manufactured wrong
possible due to a wrong specification qouted to the taiwanese ram factory commissioned to
produce HP's ram modules.

Yes

Vince.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
Sounds like a weak power supply or dried out capacitors on the motherboard.
Sometimes old junk just needs to be recycled.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Gerald,

You think so?

THe power brick is ever so slightly overpowered or under (not sure which).

but it would not explain how it works fine for long periods then duf. Randomly as if
like connected with RANDOM access memory. 

The symptons are exactly as the manufacturers defect describes.....blue screens and locks ups
is exactly what happens here. 

its certainly possible to sort it out though.  Which seems to me to be indeed, as if, the peripherals
are re-calibrating with the mb and nulling out some specific bottleneck over reboot. Which indeed points to me to be a hardware interaction problem..... as the manufacturers defect describes.

V

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
Hello,

Well i can quite confidently say that this laptop "intermittent fault" appears to have stopped now.

This seems to have been down to a re-configuration of the Hardware peripheral connection order by me in an unconventional manner while the Laptop was powered on.

1) THe hard disc was re- connected in an unconventional way "while" the laptop was powered on
and running TCL.....and this may have nulled out a software lower than firmware. It could be connected with the initialization from the MB to the peripherals and upscaled from there from Factory originals.

It could have been some eprom initialization issue due to the order in which hardware peripherals
were connected to the mainboard.

Will have to continue happily with this happy conclusion.

Vince.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »
oh dear...

same symptom again....it corrected itself almost instantly after some rebooting and power removals.

it is some intermittent temperature issue manifest without warning....but is completely correctable.

it's even possible it could be stuck keys.   

Anyway, the tinycore will always work even "as is" .....if the fault
does insist on re-appearing ....  (remove the HDD )

It leaves a usable working laptop there.   

End thread.

V