WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Findshares for ARM Architecture  (Read 2014 times)

Offline s4brains

Findshares for ARM Architecture
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »
@Richard A. Rost

Rich,

You were generous and supplied "findshares.tcz" for TCL users on the x86 architecture which I found extremely valuable.  Ubeknownst to you, I have also used "findshares.sh" with distributions other than TCL on x86 architecture.  Unfortunately findshares.sh was provided only in binary form and the x86 binary won't work with ARM architecture.

Is a version of your excellent utility available somewhere for Arm v7?

Best Regards

s4

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Findshares for ARM Architecture
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi s4brains
I didn't write  "findshares.sh" , that sounds like a script. The program I wrote is called  "findshares". If you wish to try to compile it, a copy of the latest
source code is here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16735.msg100524.html#msg100524

Offline s4brains

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
Rich,

I'm sorry!  "findshares.sh" was something I wrote to launch "findshares" with an "aterm" terminal.  I meant to simply say "findshares".

Thank you.  I didn't know that you had released the source.  I don't really know anything about compiling.  On the first try executing "./compilefindshares" numeous errors appeared, about illegal "-march" and "-mtune" options.  Then I opened "compilefindshares" in a text editor and tried replacing each instance of "i486" and "i686" with "armv6" which eliminated the "-march" errors but the "-mtune" errors still remained.  Finally I deleted all references to "-mtune=xxxx" from "compilefindshares" and it produced a working executable so I think the result may have been sucessful.

I have no idea what the "-mtune" compiler option does or how important it is.  Did omitting this option create undesirable output of some sort?

Regards,

s4

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »
Hi s4brains
Those compiler flags came from the Wiki for compiling under x86. I don't know what the recommend flags for ARM are, maybe bmarkus
could point you in the right direction.

I have no idea what the "-mtune" compiler option does or how important it is.  Did omitting this option create undesirable output of some sort?
The mtune flag was used for 486 compatibility.

Ubeknownst to you, I have also used "findshares.sh" with distributions other than TCL on x86 architecture.
It will run on any distro that has libc6, which is standard on the vast majority of them to the best of my knowledge.

The version you compiled has been updated. If you have multiple NICs running it will scan them all. The previous version only scanned the
first card it found.

Online bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »
On piCore native GCC is using proper -march -mtune and other CPU settings by default, no need to use them.

On arm v7 use settings matching target CPU. Raspberry Pi is arm v6.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."