Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

NIC driver (bnx2) problem in pxebooting

(1/5) > >>

lid:
Hi,

I pxebooted TC5.3 on a X86 platform using ramdisk. The problem is that it failed to configure the interface that was used in pxeboot.
The interface's IP address should have been configured by DHCP. Manual attempt using ifconfig after boot also failed.

I investigated a little bit. The interface NIC is:

bnx2 0000:24:00.0: eth2: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709 1000Base-SX (C0)

The dmesg shows that:

bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

Can someone explain if this is because the TC package doesn't have the right driver for this NIC?

David

gerald_clark:
You need to load firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz
You can create a second initrd with the firmware, or remaster the initrd.

lid:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on August 11, 2014, 04:53:49 PM ---You need to load firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz
You can create a second initrd with the firmware, or remaster the initrd.

--- End quote ---

Will the kernel be able to load the correct driver on boot before DHCP if I use second initrd or remaster?

I am thinking that kernel should find and load the correct NIC driver in order for the DHCP to be successful during the boot. Just want to make sure this is the case.

gerald_clark:
It is currently loading the driver. The driver fails because of the missing firmware.

lid:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on August 12, 2014, 01:01:32 PM ---It is currently loading the driver. The driver fails because of the missing firmware.

--- End quote ---

I have downloaded the driver files from http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/5.x/x86/tcz/

Since this is my first time to do this, I 'd like to make sure the path I am following is correct:

1. If I build the second initrd to include the firmware, should I put the following two files in /opt/tce/optional:

firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz
firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz.list

and echo "firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz" >> /opt/tce/onboot.lst?

2. If I use remastering, should I put the above two files in /lib/modules?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version