WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Helps needed  (Read 1555 times)

Offline bat

Helps needed
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
Er, a bit stuck on something. I installed tinycore onto the hard-drive as described on the website using tc-install by reformatting the disk. Later, I tried to uninstall one of the apps I had installed. Did that pretty-much as described in the faq but when I re-booted I had a blank screen with just the cursor on it. So I thought reboot from CD and re-install everything... tried that and it still won't boot properly if I try to boot from the hard-drive alone. So I rebooted from the CD and tried to re-partition the hard-drive to start everything from scratch, but tc-install won't let me do that because it says the hard-drive is in use... so now a bit stuck again.... also a bit confused about fdisk - when I ran it as a shell command, it managed to scrub all the partitions that tc-install put in, but it gives an error when I save and exit because it says it can't save the changes or something.

Also, is it just me, but it can take an astronomical amount of time to get through to this forum. Any clues on any of this would be much appreciated.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Helps needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
Hi bat
So I rebooted from the CD and tried to re-partition the hard-drive to start everything from scratch, but tc-install won't let me do that because it says the hard-drive is in use...
That's because its finding and using the /tce directory on the hard drive. Try using the  base norestore  boot codes.

Offline bat

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply here and by PM. Unfortunately I could not unmount the hard drive which I think is needed to repartition it, etc, with tc-install so it kept failing despite the excellent advice to delete everything and try sudo fdisk (thanks Lee). Anyhow my issues escalate out of proportion now because when I boot, the hard-disk does not show up with df or in the mount tool. Booting with a puppy linux CD (if in doubt, err) gives the same result. Any help much appreciated.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
Df and mount tool will only show partitions with a valid filesystem.
Unpartitioned drives and unformatted partitions will not show up.
So boot the Coreplus CD and start over now..

Offline bat

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
Hello, I think its sorted now. I had to fdisk the hard-drive to give it a partition (I had deleted them all) and now when I do tc-install it finally works.... i.e. it allows me to install again and mount the hard-drive. Great, back to a working system without puppies all over the screen.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:23:50 PM by bat »