WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tce-load verbose?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline dtopham

tce-load verbose?
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
This is my very first posting here so forgive me if this is the incorrect place for this question...
I have read the paperbook that explains how to use TinyCore and I really love it!

I know that it is easy to revert back to a clean system just by rebooting, but is there a way for me to know EXACTLY what will be
done by a tce-load?  i.e. What files will be installed and where?  What configuration files are modified?  etc.

I don't see a "verbose" option for tce-load that shows what it is doing. Is there a log file that shows that info?

Specifically, I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to get sound working via Qemu virtual machine booting TinyCore.
I do all the documented tce-load -wi alsa and alsaconf, etc.  but I sure wish I could see what those packages added to the system to help me understand and debug what is not working.

Is it possible to do a "diff" of the whole system?  ... before and after some package install?

Thanks for your time and any help you can suggest for me...  -Dave

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: tce-load verbose?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
Run tce-ab.  It can tell you what files will be installed.
On a virtual machine, sound support will depend both on the sound device emulated by qemu and the driver installed by Core.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
/tmp/tcloop/  contains mounted extensions.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
And /usr/local/tce.install indicates extensions copied to RAM, those are not loop mounted.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline dtopham

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Ahh! The light goes on!  I really did read all of Lauri Kasanen's excellent book "Into the Core" but somehow missed (on page 30) the "list" option of tce-ab...now I see the files that are placed into the directories, but just to be certain I understand: no files are ever modified?  Just newly added to the system?  I was under the impression that when doing tce-load -wi alsa that things like editing configuration files and/or "modprobes" to the kernel were being done since this is a driver.  e.g. I saw instructions such as this:  "modprobe snd-card-sb16" on the alsa webpage.  So loading via tce-load would not do things like that to the system? Maybe I still to need to do some configuration to get sound working...I will keep trying.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
Extensions are mounted read-only. Config files are usually stored in $HOME and included in backup by default. Or can otherwise be added to the backup if stored elsewhere.
Some extensions contain a script which is loaded upon tce-load (/usr/local/tce.installed/extension-name).
For ALSA, and many others, you will have to read the info shown in Apps tool while browsing the repo.

On another linux used with a quite old computer, I had to modprobe the SoundBlaster16 sound card. Not needed these days I guess.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)