WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: network-manager-gnome & wicd  (Read 10837 times)

Offline sm8ps

Re: network-manager-gnome & wicd
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »
Thanks, JasonW! Your support is much appreciated.

Triggering Glib should be handled by a start-up script. For persistence, the folder '/etc/NetworkManager/' should be included into '.filetool.lst'. The sub-folder 'system-connections/' must be initially created.

In addition, I found the following strange behavior. Upon re-boot, the icons have gone missing again. I did not do anything for them to appear but doing the same now does not have any effect.  :o How can icons appear on their own? Is there a way to re-launch LXDE? Calling "Reconfigure Openbox" from the "System"-menu does not have any effect.

There are various "nm-stage*"-files under '/usr/share/icons/{Humanity,Humanity-dark,hicolor}' so it is a question of loading them. Killing 'nm-applet' and re-launching it does not have the desired effect.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
Okay, progress made! (Can you tell that I am Google-ing my ways along the error messages? ;) )

Calling ''sudo gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/'' before launching nm-applet does provide it with the icons. The option "-f" (force) is necessary from what I can tell.

So I would say that this thing is ready to be wrapped up.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:44:43 AM by sm8ps »

Offline jls

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »

This sounds like you are using Enlightenment desktop, right? Do you have any experience with Connman on Openbox (&LXDE)?
there is a gui for comman. Is it mm-applet supposed to run as root?
dCore user

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
Is it mm-applet supposed to run as root?
Hm, in principle not; at least that is the way it is on my regular Ubuntu installation. However, if I run it as regular user on dCore then I get an error popping up when trying to connect to a wireless network:
(32) Not authorized to control networking.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »
Found the following which seems to be a work-around:
https://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Nm-applet#Running_as_a_non-root_user

This link claims that nm-applet should start automatically; however it does not show up after exiting to the prompt and re-starting the LXDE/Openbox-desktop.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Openbox

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
Sorry to bump this thread but I am at wits' end and must ask for support.

I use the following steps to get Network-Manager going:
Code: [Select]
sce-load wireless
sce-load network-manager
sudo NetworkManager &
sudo /usr/local/postinst/libglib2.0-0 trigger
sudo nm-applet &
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

Upon launching NetworkManager I get the following warning which seems harmless:
(NetworkManager:9506): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Key file does not have group 'connectivity'
There is no group connectivity. Shoudl it be created? My user is in the group "netdev" already but that does not seem to play a role, or does it?  :o

Without gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 I get tons of icon missing signals.

Launching nm-applet without sudo, it get the same error pop-up as the one described by jls_legalize when trying to e.g. change connection.
Failed to add/activate connection
(32) Not authorized to control networking.

I would be very glad if Network-Manager worked because it does behave much more stable across suspending then the wpa-script. I would like to have a way to get it started in a more self-contained fashion. Plus I do not really know what I am doing here so some knowledgeable support would be quite comforting. :)

Cheers!
sm

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 06:03:15 AM »
Add your user to the connectivity group, if that helps we can use that and the other info to proceed.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
Tried as suggested; created group connectivity, added my user as well as root to that group. -- No noticable changes.

Protocol:
sudo groupadd -r connectivity && sudo usermod tc -aG connectivity && sudo usermod root -aG connectivity
sce-load wireless && sce-load network-manager
sudo /usr/local/postinst/libglib2.0-0 trigger && sudo gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0 -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
sudo NetworkManager &
sudo nm-applet &

According to one of the resources mentioned above, I had created the following file in order to give my user sufficient credentials to run nm-applet without sudo but that did not work. The applet would start and connect to one of the "system connections" but it is impossible to change the connection due to "(32) Not authorized to control networking." Here is the file for reference:
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/50-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pkla
[nm-applet]
Identity=unix-group:netdev
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

Warnings upon launching sudo NetworkManager &
(NetworkManager:9496): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Key file does not have group 'connectivity'

Warnings upon launching sudo nm-applet &
** (nm-applet:9532): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
[message repeated 32 times]
nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

Upon that, I do have a fully functional nm-applet (in LXDE/Openbox). So AFAICT this is a working solution; it seems questionable, however, if it is sane. :)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »
I will try and spend some time with this too, as there is simply something missing in a startup script, or a user/group, stuff like that.  Pretty much everything is fixable.