Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

PCMCIA network card help (Netvin NV501).

(1/2) > >>

bat:
Hello, I am trying to get a barely-used c.2001 laptop running with Tiny Core Plus booting from CD. So far so good, but it can't see the network to get any apps. I thought this might be due to the PCMCIA network card which works fine when I boot the machine into Windows ME, so it is not a problem with the network itself.

If I type in 'lspcmcia' it says '... - no driver - ...' so presumably it can't cope with the model which is a Netvin NV501. Any clues very much appreciated - absolute beginner here. Failing that can people tell me the names of PCMCIA network cards which definitely work for wired ethernet so I can hunt for a second-hand alternative card, if the Netvin one definitely isn't supported? A few google searches suggest that it may be that model of card which Linux doesn't like??

gerald_clark:
See if the 'laptop' bootcode helps.

curaga:
Xircom pcmcia cards work rather well.

bat:
Many thanks for that advice. I did see somewhere else on this forum that I should enter 'laptop' somewhere but it was not obvious how to do this. Anyhow, thanks to your advice, I see it should be entered as a bootcode and the FAQ explains to do this by pressing F2, F3 or F4 when the TinyCore boot menu comes up. If I try this, it says something like 'Type one of the following: plus core and any of the space separated options...', one of which is 'laptop'. But, if I then try to type anything at all it just drops back to the TinyCore boot menu. Hence, I am really, really stuck, sorry!

curaga:
In the latest release (where you have the blue menu), press tab first to add bootcodes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version