WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: software "on-screen" keyboard  (Read 1864 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
software "on-screen" keyboard
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
hello,

please can you point me to an actual direct download link to a .tcz extension that achieves a virtual "on-screen" keyboard because,right now, non of my keyboards function

many thanks,

v

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: software "on-screen" keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
It is about time you figure out how to find and install extensions on your own.

Tags gives my xvkbd.
I'll leave installing and launching it as an exercise for you.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
ah gerald,

there isnt a net connection to the tcl laptop

just got my net cellphone for web & downloading then blue toothe any .tcz file over to a win32 laptop & onto a pen drive for the tcl laptop to boot to

so i was looking for direct download links of the virtual keyboard & it's deps

had to move flats, no dsl here

v

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:08:54 PM »
There is a Downloads button at the top of this page.
Don't forget the deps.
You can browse any of the mirrors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:12:17 PM by gerald_clark »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »
Gerald,

that worked thanks. It is amazing what a cheap 20 dollar 3G cell phone can do.
THey run JAVA j2me apps. There are thousands of these free apps and my phone
came with 200 megs of RAM so you can install hundreds of apps.

One such browser app is "Opera Mini" which is just excellent. It compresses
cell phone data by massive amounts. Sometimes 50 megs of web pages will come in as just 2 megs on the phone.  With DATA at just a CENT per megabyte now, 3G cell phones make a lot of sense on (pay/GO)

Another great cell phone browser is UC browser (again a j2me app for free)

Cell phone browsers will do everything a laptop browser will do except Flash
and stuff.  They display pages in the same format as a laptop then you "zoom in" to areas of the web page. It's extremely effective and works brilliantly.

Another feature of a 20 dollar cell phone is Blue toothe.

I discovered that like many devices my bluetoothe on the handset comes with no less than 12 services embedded into the chip. One of these services is "DUNP" service
"dial up networking to the web" over the handset "bluetoothe hotspoting really"

This actually works perfectly and is pretty fast. The bluetoothe dongle on the laptop is just one of those 30 cents NEW dongles off ebay. IT supports everything.

So the laptop on win32 is working great as an internet portal now.

I will also use the tinycore laptop.

What i found interesting is history here.

How many people today really need the DSL that they have?
90 percent of people just use it for youtube, streaming music and movies
and webcams. Online gaming is a more niche thing with DSL.
This is all very well Gerald but DSL is, for some people, just an expensive luxury when "most of the time" they just surf normal websites.

Here's why it's expensive. DSL has been around about 20 years now and i first
got DSL in 2000 and have had it ever since. The prices have never changed in all that time only "speeds" have increased. I have spent 12 thousand dollars on DSL since 2000.

Here's the irony, the DSL around back in 2000 was about 256kbps (a quarter of a meg) speed and was perfect for youtube, streaming music and movies. Nobody needed anymore. Today i still Don't need anymore speed, but i must pay the SAME price as in 2000?  2014?

Research since 2007 has shown that over 80 percent of DSL users must pay annual rental for a phone line, just to carry the DSL signal. They never make a single
traditional phone call on that phone-line in the entire year. This is because since about 2000 people have been making all their phone calls "through dsl" for free. I know i have.

So in the uk Today they still want you to sign-up for an 18 month Rental of a phone line then piggy back your DSL onto it. Total cost?....well after you throw in the fact that you "will" reach for the phone many times over that 18 months for important calls....it works out at about 1000 dollars (you must COMMIT to that 1000 dollar spend from day ONE)....ridiculous in 2014

Here i have a cell phone...it's doing all the web surfing i need it's even pretty fast....and it's costing me ONE CENT per megabyte....which is tons of web pages...and no 18 month contracts....no 1000 dollar spends... at all....
The handset is not even contract. There is no spending involved at all. The surfing is really very good even over bluetoothe...it's much faster over the USB cable to the phone. It's broadband speeds.

do people really realize the game the telecoms companies are at?

it's utterly ridiculous...

Korea and places have had DSL at thousands of times USA speeds for longer than 15 years...and pay a quarter of what the USA pays for it.

What really put the boot in for me, the other day, was when i phone up the telco
in my area (british telecom,) and i was really reluctant about a 1000 dollar committment on DSL(and phone line here)  Ridiculous.  The guy on the end of the  line then starts to even have a bit of an attitude with me?....
I can turn around and go to a 100 other telco's not just British Telecom to get a new phone line and DSL , but i went back to them because i have been with them my entire LIFE gerrald. I have paid British Telecom, every month, for 21 years of my life Gerrald. It comes to over 22 thousand dollars for phone lines and calls since i was 21 years old. (44 now)  (USA dollars prices) and then throw in the 13 thousand dollars on DSL since year 2000.   Those are my TELCO bills for you.

Can you believe this?...the guy on the end of the line has an attitude with me?

I just politely said i will think about it. I HAVE thought about it and i am disgusted at the telco industry in general. The monopoly they have over the general public and the scam they are running.  DSL is a fine example because it's a 20 year old technology that still costs the same today?

I know, in it's day, DSL was remarkable, pushing 10's of thousand of times MORE data down a copper wire than it was designed to carry (they were just designed to carry speach at 14khz)  DSL was a remarkable invention and took 10 year of research and design..but jesus have we had to pay for it ever since?
But that's also just rubbish on a global scale, because like is say Korea has been in starship enterprize territory with Telco stuff 15 years ahead of the USA and stuff and much cheaper.

i have two degrees in telco's, i know the subject and i know it's the 4th largest indusrty on earth...and i know WHY.  Because they are prositituting the general public to the tune of billions per year. British Telecom alone has 18 million DSL customers at 3.5 billion dollars per year turn over.
It's just a copper wire that's been in the ground for 40 years...running to your house. The DSL box at the telco buidling, fair enough that costs a whack...but
this stuff was around 20 years ago working fine at 256kbps.....(id' have been happy with that and todays prices being 20 times cheaper...but that's not the case)

anyhow....you learn something new everyday...buy a 20 dollar cell phone
and 100 web pages costs you a CENT.   No contracts..no nothing

you may wanna move this to an unrelated thread...sorry
Vince.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:19:26 AM by cast-fish »