WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Deletion of applications  (Read 4507 times)

Offline AnonFriendly

Deletion of applications
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:48:13 AM »
Hi I'm new to tiny core (have been using other linux distros for 6 months), however im stuck on one problem.
I have tried to find solutions to this already because i dont want to waste everyones time.
I downloaded both firefox and the firefox-setup applications on my tinycore, but have since switched to another web browser.
So i wanted to delete these two, since the whole point of tinycore is to take up less space and all that.
I went into the app store/manager, selected deletion from the dropdown menu, selected the files to put into the right hand column and the selected each one, then pressed delete.
however whenever i restart my computer, i still find those in the menu.
Please, if any of you guys have any recommendations, or if im making a stupid noob mistake please point it out to me.
Again, im sorry if wasting any of your time, i really did check around the web to try to find a solution myself.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Deletion of applications
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:13:32 AM »
Hi AnonFriendly
Welcome to the forum. The Apps utility marks the extensions for deletion. The extensions actually get deleted the next time you shutdown
or reboot. There is a very good book on the workings of Tinycore you can download from here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
I highly recommend you give it a read.

Offline AnonFriendly

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
thank you very much rich.
i must have mistaken the delete button, from the delete menu, to mean perm. delete, instead of remove from deletion list.
i will download that book immidiately so i dont make any more stupid mistakes...
i really appreciate the help and the link.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
What delete button?

Offline AnonFriendly

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
when you are in the app installer, click apps in the top left corner. the go down to maintence, submenu called dependancies and deletions. i would mark them as deleted files, placing them in the right hand column. but then hit the delete button on the bottom after that, removing them from the deletion list. :/ dumb mistake.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »
Thanks for posting the design improvement request. It has been noted, and the button changed to say "delete item from list" :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline AnonFriendly

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »
Oh wow, I did not expect a change to the distro, let alone a message from an administrator. This has never happened before, and I have joined alot of different distro's forum pages. Its, official, Tiny Core is the only distro I'm using from now on. :) THANK YOU!!!