WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing app problems  (Read 2602 times)

Offline wysiwyg

Installing app problems
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
Good morning gang!  I have been playing with TinyCore and and CorePlus over the last several weekends, but am running into problems trying to install additional apps.  I've tried the following in both systems with the same results.

1. Bootup the system
2. Click the 'Apps' icon in the app bar
3. Get a popup stating "First run - would you like the system to pick the fastest mirror?"
4. Clicking 'Yes' brings up another popup saying "Couldn't load mirror list. Maybe network issue?"
5. Clicking 'Close' brings yet another popup saying "Fatal Error: TCE Directory is not writable."

NOTE: if I click 'No' on step 3, the prompt from step 5 is shown.

After all of this I thought I probably didn't have an Internet connection, so I clicked on the 'Terminal' icon in the app bar, ran an ifconfig, but noticed I have the loopback and a 192.168.x.x address.  I then successfully pinged Google to make sure there wasn't any connectivity problems.

So then I thought maybe there is a write problem on the media, so I checked the mounts and see that the boot media was already mounted under /mnt/sda1.  I can also successfully create and delete files on that mount without problems using the default user account.

No clue what could be the problem here.  Any help would grealy be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Installing app problems
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
Show the output of "ls -l /etc/sysconfig/tcedir".
Is the directory that is pointed to writeable?

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Gerald!  Per your request I checked where that symlink was pointing and to my surprise, the directory was indeed unwriteable!  For some reason that directory had 575 permissions...  Anyhow, I updated using chmod, grabbed the mirrors.tcz (don't know why that wasn't included as part of base OS), and all seems to be running as expected.  Thanks again for your help!

Dave

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
(don't know why that wasn't included as part of base OS)

It needs to be updatable long after a release has been made, as old mirrors disappear and new ones get added.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
Ah!  Gotcha, thanks for the tidbit. :)

Dave