WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Need to keep boot transcript on console  (Read 3040 times)

Offline philip

Need to keep boot transcript on console
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:13 AM »
I would like to review the messages that appear on the console while TC is booting. But late in the boot process, after the TC Extensions are loaded, the boot script clears the screen just before turning control of the shell over to the user. That erases information I need to look at. Could somebody say where the screen-clearing command is, and how to turn it off?

Background: This is all for TC2.0 RC3. I'm suffering significantly slower boot times (several minutes instead of a few seconds) with RC3 than RC2, so I'm trying to find the cause by adding extra messages to some system scripts. But all my notes are getting erased before I can see them! Please don't lose confidence in RC3: my problem is probably caused by quirks of my local hardware and installation, so I'm asking the simplest question I can for now. If I learn anything significant through all this, I'll report back. Thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Need to keep boot transcript on console
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »
It's a feature of rungetty, the app that does the actual logging in. You can add an argument for it in /etc/inittab to not clear the screen.

But, why go through all the trouble, use the "pause" bootcode :) it pauses right before login, so you can read all the boot messages.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:16 AM »
Did you try the bootcode "tc pause"?

Offline philip

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
Did you try the bootcode "tc pause"?
Not yet, but I will! (Like I said, my setup has quirks: I start TC from grub over the network, so I never get reminded of those handy boot options. I knew they would be worth remembering and some time ago I copied them to the TC wiki for occasions just like this. Life's little ironies.)

Thanks.

Offline philip

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »
I tracked down the reasons for my slow boot and posted a description in "TCB Bugs": http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1712.0.