WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore-5.3rc4  (Read 15543 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: piCore-5.3rc4
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
Gerrelt,

In the 3.14.y kernel there were changes in the USB part, probably it is causing the difference. Officially the latest stable kernel for the Pi is the 3.12.y, 3.13.y/3.14.y is still experimental and changing in every two weeks.

When you connect the monitor, please check shutdown also, does it work normally or not.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »
BTW, it can be also the new RPi firmware, not the kernel.

gerrelt@

Can you try 5.3rc4 with the RPi firmware from 5.2.2?
Béla

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
Hi Béla,

I will try that, but not tonight anymore.

But, I have done some testing.
I have put the SD card that was in my radio cassette player into the livingroom Raspberry. Normally that raspberry contains a Raspbmc image with Squeezelite installed on it.
With TinyCore in it, it worked normally, the reboot worked as it should be.

Then I put the piCore SD card back into the radio cassette player and connected a HDMI cable (I was just able to put it in through the battery compartment) to it and the TV.

After I issued the reboot command, shutdown looked normal. Afther the shutdown the "rainbow screen" appeared and it wanted to boot. But it gets stuck on these messages:

The funny thing is, when I uploaded this picture I found another picture from a year ago. That was with piCore 4.7.7, but it was exactly the same message  ;D :

It must be something with the Hub or USB soundcard that is causing this. But I still think it is strange it was fine for a year, but now it came back.
But, don't worry about this, it is probably some incidental combination. I will update the other piCore raspberries with 5.3rc4  and see if it gives me the same behaviour.

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:56:00 PM by Gerrelt »
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
hi Gerrelt,

I have been playing with piCorePlayer a lot over the last few weeks, going through hundreds of shutdown and reboots. I have seen my share of "corruptions".

Whenever I get a problem booting the Rasberry Pi like you have, I simply replace config.txt and/or cmdline.txt by mounting the SD card in a Debian VM.

regards

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
Hi Paul_123
I did put an unmount in the shutdown script before, but I never tried the -f option.
You do realize it's  umount  not  unmount , Right? If there are any syntax errors in the command it will not execute and you won't know it.

yes....a typo from a quick response.  I just added the -f to the command line, and that did not help.

what is the best way to troubleshoot the shutdown scripts for a reboot.  syslog??

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Hi Paul_123
What happens if you enter the command in a terminal? Does that take a long time to execute? Error messages?

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
Hi Paul_123
What happens if you enter the command in a terminal? Does that take a long time to execute? Error messages?

the dismounting is nearly instantaneous when ran from command line.   Provided I remember to dismount first, the pi halts and begins to restart in a few seconds.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 05:51:05 AM »
Hi Béla,

I will try that, but not tonight anymore.

But, I have done some testing.
I have put the SD card that was in my radio cassette player into the livingroom Raspberry. Normally that raspberry contains a Raspbmc image with Squeezelite installed on it.
With TinyCore in it, it worked normally, the reboot worked as it should be.

Then I put the piCore SD card back into the radio cassette player and connected a HDMI cable (I was just able to put it in through the battery compartment) to it and the TV.

After I issued the reboot command, shutdown looked normal. Afther the shutdown the "rainbow screen" appeared and it wanted to boot. But it gets stuck on these messages:

The funny thing is, when I uploaded this picture I found another picture from a year ago. That was with piCore 4.7.7, but it was exactly the same message  ;D :

It must be something with the Hub or USB soundcard that is causing this. But I still think it is strange it was fine for a year, but now it came back.
But, don't worry about this, it is probably some incidental combination. I will update the other piCore raspberries with 5.3rc4  and see if it gives me the same behaviour.

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.

gerrelt

does it stuck when you start it after power on or only when reboot?
Béla

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Hi Béla,

Only when I do a reboot.

I have tested on 3 more raspberries now. One of them does not have this problem.
The other ones have the same problem. And one of them only has it sometimes.  ???

Unplugging the USB soundcard from the USB hub seems to improve it.

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 08:21:42 AM »
Gerrelt, thanks. I can't reproduce it unfortunately. What I'm thinking is to release 5.2.3 which is in fact the same as 5.3 regarding core scripts, the only difference is the kernel which is unchanged 3.13.6 and the RPi firmware which may be updated. We can keep 5.3 testing a bit longer. Maybe audio sound devices behave better in 3.14.y but I see other small issue; when I create a directory to loopmount an extension, first mount fails as directory wouldn't exists. Waiting a bit same command works. Tghis happened already with early 3.13.y too which was not used for production. Otherwise it is stable.
Béla

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
Hi Béla,

My problem is only minor. So, you could file it under "known issue".
Maybe it will be fixed in the next release of the Raspberry firmware.

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 03:54:58 AM »
Enabling FIQ-FSM fix the reboot hang issue. Stay tuned for 5.3
Béla