WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Updating tcz apps  (Read 41515 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: Updating tcz apps
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
sh: update: not found
sh: upgrate: not found
 ???

Did you name your script "update" and give it exec priviledges (eg "sudo chmod +x /update" )?

edit: At some point, I'll probably submit as an extension.

edit: oh...sorry about the typo in previous post....should be "update leafpad"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:45:57 AM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 07:24:44 PM »
Added "update -v" , views tce directory.  

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:08:22 AM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 03:54:17 AM »
Added graphical interface. USAGE: 'update -g'    

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:08:47 AM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 04:56:36 AM »
The script is getting big, soon it'll be smaller as a compiled version ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
The script is getting big, soon it'll be smaller as a compiled version ;)

I submitted the present 4K version. omitting the "update -na" feature that plays the
National Anthem while doing file checks.    :D
(note to Jason:;  I'm only joking)    
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:53:31 PM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
Actually, I may consider adding an option of --with-music to tce-uninstall that would play songs in alphabetical order in, say, the /usr/local/share/music directory.  That would help pass the time spent waiting for the list files to download.  The number of songs you would want to place in that directory would be relative to the amount of tce's you have installed.  But that would add a dependency on mpg123, so I may leave it out. 

(Humor used here as well)  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
In the unlikely case that /usr/local/share/music is empty, it should then proceed to download Top 500 Trance Remixes, at a priority higher than the update files no less. The longer wait would obviously be worth it, because users can grasp the excitement in seeing music trickle in, and after that, continue to listen while the lists download.

Of course there should be the hidden option for us devs that, instead of downloading, mounts Jason's mp3 collection over NFS :D
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
 :D

BTW/  Jason... if you want to improve the visual experience  while listening to all that great music,
you could dump the dialog --title (line 126 in tce-uninstall, line 161 in tcz-uninstall) , since it duplicates the menu txt.

Offline philip

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »
Am I correct in understanding that this script recalculates the md5sum for each extension on my local machine, and then compares the answer with the "official" checksum over at ibiblio.org? Unfortunately, I need a way to verify that the contents of my tce directory have not been tampered with. The script looks perfect for this ... but I'm feeling a bit paranoid at the moment, so I want to be extra sure I understand its operation. Thanks.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
'update -c' downloads new md5sum files for everything in your tce dir, and then tests the extensions.

edit: downloads are to /tmp/md5 which is later deleted....so no danger.  The complete report is in /tmp/update-check, and a failure report redirected to your terminal. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:35:22 PM by jpeters »

Offline philip

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
Super. I endorse your designation as "Hero Member". Thanks again.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
Unfortunately, my submission of the update extension has been rejected with the explanation that only their own submissions (the"team")  are acceptable in the repos.  I find this amusing, but sufficient reason for me to move on and end any further contributions to tc.  Thanks.    
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:34:14 AM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »
The team has discussed the issue of submitted extensions that are scripts and it was decided that standalone scripts should be made available in the forum.  In most any distro, there is a section in the forum just for scripts and coding as opposed to the scripts or coding becoming a package.  In fact, I had decided yesterday to move my uninstall scripts out of the repo and will make them available in the forum for several reasons.  Mainly because uninstalling is not an official method of TC, as well as not all WM's are supported so they are incomplete.  A script existing in the forum does not mean it is of lesser value, it is just simply where scripts are best kept. 

Scripts in the forum are very maintainable by their owner without having to wait for an update to be processed.  This would especially be good for a script that downloads things from third party sources.  They can be improved upon by others in the community and improvements by others can be posted, and it will all be available in one place and at once. 

It is community's contributions that help make TC what it is, and we value all of those contributions.  Please understand the decision to keep contributed scripts in the forum and keep the repo for applications and library packages. 

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
The team has discussed the issue of submitted extensions that are scripts and it was decided that standalone scripts should be made available in the forum.  In most any distro, there is a section in the forum just for scripts and coding as opposed to the scripts or coding becoming a package.  In fact, I had decided yesterday to move my uninstall scripts out of the repo and will make them available in the forum for several reasons.  Mainly because uninstalling is not an official method of TC, as well as not all WM's are supported so they are incomplete.  A script existing in the forum does not mean it is of lesser value, it is just simply where scripts are best kept. 

Scripts in the forum are very maintainable by their owner without having to wait for an update to be processed.  This would especially be good for a script that downloads things from third party sources.  They can be improved upon by others in the community and improvements by others can be posted, and it will all be available in one place and at once. 

It is community's contributions that help make TC what it is, and we value all of those contributions.  Please understand the decision to keep contributed scripts in the forum and keep the repo for applications and library packages. 

What does in the forum mean? Is there a download repository in the forum for scripts? If not there should be if they can't be placed in the extensions repository. I hope you are not suggesting they are buried in post messages helter skelter.
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »
Community contributed scripts being posted and developed in the forum is the norm in the Linux world.  There will be accommodation for contributed scripts and scripted utilities in the forum.  Bear in mind that this distro is still in it's early stages and things are changing and growing.  Sometimes decisions have to be made as we go and a solution will be arrived at.