WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Controlling default display resolution and color depth [SOLVED]  (Read 3404 times)

Offline 2os

I have noticed that out of box TC has its display set to 1024x768x24. I use Xvesa menu [Click->SystemTools->ControlPanel->Xvesa] to show a list of display combination options. This list varies as I move my TC flash drive between computers and it seems to be able to detect the available display combinations for every computer.

As of now I have to access Xvesa whenever I plug my TC flash drive to a new computer and set to the highest number. I want to be able to avoid this configuration step and have the display automatically default to this highest number whenever it changes.

Is there a way to set the display to always default to the highest number on this list which provides the highest combination of resolution and color depth?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:12:04 PM by 2os »

Offline maro

Re: Controlling default display resolution and color depth
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
Years ago I had the same idea (i.e. to force Xvesa to use the highest reported screen resolution). This seemed to work really well in the VMs (e.g. QEMU or VBox) that I use most of the time to"play" with TC. The problem was that some of my "real" hardware was reporting (via 'Xvesa -listmodes') screen resolutions that the screen clearly had no ability to support (e.g. 1600x1200x16 when the attached LCD monitor has 1680x1050 as its maximum resolution).

Having said that I've just thrown together two lines (and done a quick test in a QEMU VM) that when placed in '/opt/bootsync.sh' should attempt to do what you are after:
Code: [Select]
MAX_RES=$( Xvesa -listmodes 2>&1 | sort -k 2nr | sed "2,$ d;s#.*: ##;s# .*##" )
sudo -u $USER sed -i "s# 1024x768x32 # ${MAX_RES} #" /home/${USER}/.xsession

Offline 2os

Re: Controlling default display resolution and color depth
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Thank you maro, I tried it but it did not budge and stayed the same. I discovered a different approach to achieve the desired result. I add the Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz extension. This in effect seems to be disabling xVesa but it can be interacted with through the xrandr command and it does set the highest resolution by default. Easy and effective, loving it.

Thanks for your input!