WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Adding default modules to TinyCore 5.2  (Read 3248 times)

Offline AlejandroPadrino

Adding default modules to TinyCore 5.2
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
Hello, since TC 4.61 I can't modify source .Iso image to put default .tcz files and load in default boot.  How to do?

Thanks.  :-)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Adding default modules to TinyCore 5.2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
Please read the book.

There is also an ezremaster extension and a lot of information in the wiki and here in the fora.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:57:12 PM by gerald_clark »

Offline AlejandroPadrino

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
I was read the Book.  I don't want to remaster the core.  I only want to add and load .tcz files.  Editting /cde text files and copying new files to /cde/optional does not load new .tcz modules.

:-(

Offline volkerp

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
Hi AlejandroPadrino,

I'm not sure what you do mean with "default modules". Kernel modules? Extensions?

You want to modify an ISO image without to do a remastering, right?

May be, there is a way, but I don't know, how to do it. You want to put default .tcz files into the image, right? But why? They are already there!

After booting the system (no matter if installed or as life system) you than can install/load whichever extension you find in the repository, at least in cloud/internet mode if you haven't persistence yet. Where is the problem now?

You mention the /cde directory. You can't edit files there, because it's a read-only directory. It for that seems to me you didn't yet do an installation and are running the system as a life system, right?

Now make an installation and enjoy TC!

Very good installation instructions you find in the Corebook page 11 through 21.

Volker

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:09 AM »
If you know which files to edit / where to put additional extensions (there are several ways described in the wiki) you could install  isomaster.tcz  and use this to directly modify the .ISO image before burning to a CD.
The easiest way is probably to place additional .TCZs in  /cde /cde/optional  and maybe edit  onboot.lst  accordingly (if needed).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:34:54 AM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline AlejandroPadrino

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »
Hello Misalf, .tcz modules added into onboot.lst are next:

squashfs-tools-4.x.tcz
dosfstools.tcz
gzip.tcz
hexedit.tcz
htop.tcz
nano.tcz
ncurses-terminfo.tcz
ncurses-utils.tcz
ntfs-3g.tcz
ntfs-3g-adv.tcz
ntfs-3g-doc.tcz
ntfsprogs.tcz
xtrlock.tcz
makeself.tcz

After this, booting tinycore does not load that modules and does not show desktop.

Thanks.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
Sorry, I should have said copy them to  /cde/optional/*.tcz  and edit  /cde/onboot.lst .

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to lend you a hand in tracing down the issue if extensions don't load. However, I was able to modify the .ISO like that without remastering core.gz (which wouldn't be that tricky either).
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
While you could edit the ISO directly, there is little opportunity to test the install first.  Probably the best way to accomplish this goal is to build tc the way you want it with all your apps loading etc etc on a HDD/USB  then use ezremaster extension to create an iso of your tested working installation.  That's how I create ISO's anyhow.

With ezremaster you you may choose to create an ISO with extension s inside the initrd or outside, there are many choices.  I normally use "inside initrd on boot" but  "outside initrd onboot" with the copy2fs flag set might work for you