WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: *SOLVED* CorePlus-5.1 Installer creates swap file on USB flash drive: Why?  (Read 10660 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: CorePlus-5.1 Installer creates swap file on USB flash drive: Why?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »
Hi Mike7
But why does it put application dependencies in onboot.lst when they will be loaded at boot anyway (supposedly) by the application they are dependencies of?
Without a couple of examples of what you are referring to that would be difficult to answer.
However, TCL isn't all that small once the regular apps like file manager, browser, sound and media players, image and pdf viewers, etc. are installed. In fact it rapidly grows into a medium-size distro.
No distro will be small when when you load it up with lots of apps. What Tinycore gives you is a small base system to which you only add the
apps that interest you instead of coming preloaded with multiple editors, browsers, file managers, audio/video apps, etc.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
If you want a smaller installation use tthe TinyCore installer instead.

I probably would have done so, but I needed the wifi apps. I have no ethernet connection.
It's recommended to use coreplus only to install, thereafter only copy extension which you need for your hardware.  wifi as an example which only requires maybe one or two extensions at most, not multiple extensions to support a wide range of hardware you don't have..

Offline volkerp

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:56 AM »
Title of the thread:

CorePlus-5.1 Installer creates swap file on USB flash drive: Why?

gerald_clark wrote on April 19th:

That is zswap. It is not on the flash drive.

Herewith the problem was solved to my mind.

But discussion continued, drifted away and now deals with the usage of the Apps tool and advantages/disadvantages of CorePlus, TinyCore and so on.

Sure, Mike7 needs some help using the Apps Tool, which in my sight is an excellent tool. I'm ready to give Mike7 some fundamental help regarding this, only I doubt, if this is the most suitable thread to do this. Any suggestions? Or should I better contact Mike7 per PM?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »
Hi volkerp
You are absolutely right.

@Mike7: Please mark this thread solved and start a new thread.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 12:06:16 AM »
Hi, Gerald.

I suggest that you experiment more with Apps and the other utilities.  Even if you make a major mistake, it only takes about 5 minutes to completely reinstall it.

Maybe, but unless I can rescue mydata.gz I'd be starting from scratch. A lot of time lost.

CorePlus puts more than is necessary in the onboot.lst, but trying to analyze your system and decide what you might want would over complicate the installation.

What I don't understand is why any dependency tcz's are in onboot.lst, since they will supposedly get loaded when the app they are dependencies of is loaded. Won't they?

Just because program2 is a dependency of  program1, it does not follow that you might not want program2 even if you remove program1 from the onboot list.

That I can see, perhaps. But so long as program 1 is onboot, what's the point in having program 2 onboot?

As a matter of fact, those eight-odd tcz's listed in "Load Apps Locally" are probably dependencies that got kicked out of onboot.lst somehow and weren't removed from tce/optional/ along with the program they were dependencies of (for some unknown reason), and are orphans. It's really very difficult to know what to do about them. They're not application tcz's.

M.
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »
Rich and Volker-

I agree. This thread has gone far afield so I will mark it solved and move on.

Cheers.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.