WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: videos crash chromium-browser  (Read 10153 times)

Offline volkerp

Re: videos crash chromium-browser
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
Hi Mike7,

Is there some reason why you suggest Firefox now, rather than Icecat?

In firefox you needn't disable any preinstalled add-ons. I thought it's easier for you. That's all. No further reason.

Volker

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
Also, coreplayer2 told me to remove chromium from onboot.lst first. Isn't that necessary, to avoid browser conflicts?
There might not be any conflict with Chromium and Firefox, but it's a mindset to get into for the day you try various Mozilla based browsers that might conflict.. 

Offline Mike7

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »
Hi, all.

Okay, this weekend when I have a moment I will take chromium of onboot.lst and downlaod and install onboot Firefox.tcz. Then check if videos play in Firefox, and report back.

One thing that occurred to me yesterday was that maybe it's a problem with flashplayer., which seems a likely culprit.

But we'll know more this weekend.

Thanks, and cheers all.

Mike

I
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
Volker, coreplayer2, and all-

Regarding flashplayer and switching browsers:

The wiki says: "If you install a different browser after installing Flash Player, and want Flash Player on it, delete the flash extension in the tce directory, and install Flash Player again."

This is unclear. Does it mean running getFlash11.tcz after deleting flash11.tcz? If so, how do I do that? (It did it automatically when it was first downloaded, but that is not the case here.) Can getFlash11.tcz be run like an application, using the Run program?

Furthermore:
- Should I do this before installing Firefox or after? (The wiki says that a browser should be installed and run at least once before installing flashplayer.)
- If so, do I need to run through the getFlash11.tcz process again? Both getFlash11.tcz and flash11.tcz are in my tce/optional/ folder. flash11.tcz is in onboot.lst, getFlash11.tcz is not. (Is this the way it should be?)

So, what do I do?

I'd like to get it right so that this test of a different browser is worthwhile. I don't want Firefox to not play videos because of a flashplayer installation error. So please answer these questions if you can.

As a matter of fact, maybe Chromium won't play videos because of an error in the flashplayer installation. So please help me do this the right way this time.

Thanks.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
getFlash11.tcz  never needs to be in your onboot.lst file.

It can be loaded as needed via Apps,  or ondemand, or command line
tce-load -i getFlash11

After loading, run getFlash11 from the desktop menu, or enter getFlash11 at the commandline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline volkerp

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 12:49:35 AM »
Hi Mike7,

for your information: I have flash11.tcz in my onboot.lst. getflash11.tcz I uninstalled already a long time ago, just because i don't need it anymore.

Just now I installed chromium browser additional to my icecat browser for testing purposes. Both are OnDemand. I started watching different streaming videos in each of both browsers in the same time. All worked perfectly! Even sound. (Listening to two sound tracks simultaneously is not really a pleasure, but, as has been said, it's for testing purposes only).

Now I ask you: What do you want more?

Volker
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:56:05 AM by volkerp »

Offline Mike7

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:21 AM »
coreplayer2-

getFlash11.tcz  never needs to be in your onboot.lst file.

It isn' t.

It can be loaded as needed via Apps,  or ondemand, or command line
tce-load -i getFlash11

No need to download it again since it' s still in tce/optional/ and appears in "Load Apps Locally" in Apps, right?

After loading, run getFlash11 from the desktop menu, or enter getFlash11 at the commandline

That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

M.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 01:44:12 AM »
Hi, Volker.

for your information: I have flash11.tcz in my onboot.lst. getflash11.tcz I uninstalled already a long time ago, just because i don't need it anymore.

So your experience is that what the wiki says - that you have to reinstall flashplayer for every new browser - isn't true? I'd be glad to know that, if it's really so.

Just now I installed chromium browser additional to my icecat browser for testing purposes. Both are OnDemand. I started watching different streaming videos in each of both browsers in the same time. All worked perfectly!

I'm happy for you <grin>. My chromium browser won't play videos, at least not Youtube ones. Plus when I try to watch a Youtube video, Tools>TaskManager shows flashplayer installed. Weird, huh?

Now I ask you: What do you want more?

I want mine to work.

Mike

Offline volkerp

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Hi Mike7,

you can't watch videos in your chromium browser. Whatever might be the reason for it, if you install a second browser and try to watch a video in it, one of two things will happen: Either it does work or it doesn't. If it does, something with your chromium browser or interaction between chromium and flash is wrong. If it doesn't as well, there must be another reason.

Alternatively you can never-ending speculate about what could be the reason.

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
Hi, Volker.

if you install a second browser and try to watch a video in it, one of two things will happen: Either it does work or it doesn't. If it does, something with your chromium browser or interaction between chromium and flash is wrong.

I already know there's a problem with Chromium-browser. Could be flash, could be RAM, could be a lot of things. I'm trying to narrow it down. Installing flash properly for each browser is part of the narrowing-down process.

you can never-ending speculate about what could be the reason.

I'm trying not to speculate. Installing various browsers without knowing if flash is working properly with each would be speculating.

I'm going to try the Firefox substitution, I just want to get the flash thing right first. I like controlled experiments. You get more useful results from them. If I download Firefox and try it without flash set up properly, it won't matter whether it works or not, I still won't know anything about the Chromium problem. See what I mean?

As soon as I have the time, I will do all these things, which come from good suggestions by you and others in this forum. At the moment I'm preparing for an extended trip back to the States, where I hope to get the new therapy for hepatitis C, of which I am a victim. I have cirrhosis of the liver and probably won't live much longer without therapy.

So while I sIncerely appreciate the help and advice I'm getting here, I would ask you and the others to allow me to do things in my own way and at my own speed, and to respect me. After all, I'm 70 years old, have three university degrees, worked as a researcher and journalist for many years, and am published in three languages. In brief, nobody's fool.

Okay?

Cheers.

Mike

Offline volkerp

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
Hi Mike7,

take a CD or a USB pen drive with a bootable CorePlus iso-image on it and boot from it. Choose "Boot Core with X/GUI (Tiny Core) + Wifi + Firmware".

Don't install TC.

Install the following extensions onboot in the given order preferably using the Apps tool:

chromium-browser.tcz
getflash11.tcz
alsa.tcz

Check out, if sound does work. If it doesn't, install additionally

alsamixergui.tcz

and make sound working.

After having achieved this, try to watch a video on Youtube and post what happened. It did work for me.

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
Hi, Volker.

That's an interesting idea and a worthwhile experiment. I will try it as soon as I have the time. But I think you left one step out: I have to run getFlash11.tcz after installing it, no?

I assume your procedure won't modify the pendrive that the iso is on, as long as I don't try to do a backup, right?

One last thing: I don't have any sound installed yet on this TCL installation that I've been running. Do you think that could be the cause of the videos not playing?

Thanks.

Mike

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
One last thing: I don't have any sound installed yet on this TCL installation that I've been running. Do you think that could be the cause of the videos not playing?

No.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mike7

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
tinypoodle-

No.

Whew! One less variable in the equation <grin>.

M.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 02:23:45 AM »
Hi tinypoodle,

sorry, I disagree. I did the experiment described above.

At first I didn't install sound and watched a video at http://www.zdf.de. Ok, it was "silent movie", but no further problems appeared.

Then I switched to Youtube. I tried several videos. The same phenomenon appeared regularly: After playing a few  seconds the video stopped playing and an error message similiar to "An error occured"... was shown. Several hints were given like waiting for half a minute, browser update, flash update and so on.

After installing sound I watched all these videos without any issues.

Hi Mike7,

Might be, there are other reasons as well. Chromium browser did not crash in my case as you wrote in your first post. But according to my findings the few videos I checked you can't see without sound support.

Volker