WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: videos crash chromium-browser  (Read 10025 times)

Offline Mike7

videos crash chromium-browser
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:36 AM »
Hi, all.

I installed chromium-browser.tcz and it works fine for most websites. But it crashes when trying to watch videos on Youtube and elsewhere. Can anyone tell me why?

If it's a RAM issue (I have only 1GB RAM in my netbook), will I have to use a swap file? (I don't really want to do this on a flash drive.)

Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline volkerp

Re: videos crash chromium-browser
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »
Hi Mike7,

you didn't write, if you tried to watch exact the same videos with another browser. If you didn't do so, please do it now and post the results.

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
Hi, volkerp. Happy Easter!

Yes, I checked with Firefox (in WinXP) and Chrome (in Puppy Linux) and was able to watch them.

With Chromium in TCL, they play for a few seconds and then the video frame goes black and says "An error occurred, please try again later."

M.
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi Mike7,

now please install another browser in TC and use it to watch the videos. Post, if it crashes or not.

Happy Easter too!

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
Can I install another browser without interfering with Chromium? What about when I go to uninstall one of them? Won't there be a dependencies problem?

Also, I really like Chromium. I'd like to make it work and keep it.

But I will co-install Firefox, for example, if you say so.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »
Hi Mike7,

you should avoid to load more than one browser of the firefox/mozilla family  simultaneously. Indeed there seem interfering and/or dependency problems possible.

But chromium does not belong to the firefox/mozilla family.

My personal favored browser is GNU Icecat (--> icecat.tcz). It is the GNU version of firefox.

So I suggest you to give it a try. But caution: Before watching streaming videos you must disable the preinstalled add-on "GNU LibreJS". Don't forget to reenable it later and read what it does mean!

Should it crash as well, please post it. Than we have to look for a reason outside the browser.

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:26:47 AM »
Hi, volkerp.

you should avoid to load more than one browser of the firefox/mozilla family  simultaneously. Indeed there seem interfering and/or dependency problems possible.

But chromium does not belong to the firefox/mozilla family.

Okay.

My personal favored browser is GNU Icecat (--> icecat.tcz). It is the GNU version of firefox.

Sounds good.

Before watching streaming videos you must disable the preinstalled add-on "GNU LibreJS". Don't forget to reenable it later and read what it does mean!

Understood.

Should it crash as well, please post it. Than we have to look for a reason outside the browser.

Icecat and Chromium don't have any shared dependencies, which could cause problems when I uninstall one of them?

Mike

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
There is no need to worry about deps.  Use the Apps gui to remove chromium-browser from the onboot.lst  then browse for another browser and install onboot  as per the depictions in corebook, then reboot

;)

Offline Mike7

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
coreplayer2-

There is no need to worry about deps.

Uninstalling extensions still worries me. I tried minefield before chromium and I had a hard time uninstalling it. I still don't know if I got rid of all its dependencies.

Use the Apps gui to remove chromium-browser from the onboot.lst

Just chromium-browser.tcz? Nothing else?

then browse for another browser and install onboot  as per the depictions in corebook, then reboot

Okay, I'll read what Corebook has to say about it.

M.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Hi Mike7,

I installed chromium-browser.tcz and it works fine for most websites. But it crashes when trying to watch videos on Youtube and elsewhere.

Uninstalling extensions still worries me. I tried minefield before chromium and I had a hard time uninstalling it. I still don't know if I got rid of all its dependencies.

Question: Did you watch videos with minefield succesfully?

I wonder that uninstalling minefield was a problem. Using the Apps tool an extension is marked for deletion and all of its dependencies that aren't needed by anything else will also be removed. After rebooting then all is gone.

If you remember details of what happened when uninstalling minefield and you post it, it could maybe help solve your problem.

Cheers

Volker

Offline Mike7

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
Hi, Volker.

Question: Did you watch videos with minefield succesfully?

I wish I could remember <sheepish grin>.

I wonder that uninstalling minefield was a problem. Using the Apps tool an extension is marked for deletion and all of its dependencies that aren't needed by anything else will also be removed.

When you're not used to it, it doesn't seem so easy. I realize that' s the way it's supposed to work, but somehow it didn't seem to do that. Maybe I did something wrong. I don't know. I can no longer remember.

If you remember details of what happened when uninstalling minefield and you post it, it could maybe help solve your problem.

I'm afraid my memory of that unpleasant episode is gone. At my age (I'm 70), you tend to quickly forget everything that wasn't fun.

Cheers.

Mike

Offline volkerp

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 02:35:21 AM »
Hi Mike,

now please install the firefox browser (--> firefox.tcz), don't uninstall anything, start firefox, watch a video and tell us what happens.

Volker

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
It's easy,  simply open Apps gui, go to  the Apps button and select Maintenance > Dependencies and Deletions (allow a minute or two to build the list.
Then select the extension you wish to delete. 
Then while the app you wish to delete is selected open the dependencies button > and select "Mark for Deletion"

On next reboot the extension will be deleted, additionally any dependencies which are not required by any other extension will also be deleted.
End of story.

There is however a fail-safe mechanism.  In the event you have manually accidentally removed/deleted a needed extension, use the "Fetch missing Dependencies" from the same Dependencies button.  Run that to resolve missing deps.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:15:12 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Mike7

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
Hi, Volker.

now please install the firefox browser (--> firefox.tcz), don't uninstall anything, start firefox, watch a video and tell us what happens.

Is there some reason why you suggest Firefox now, rather than Icecat?

Also, coreplayer2 told me to remove chromium from onboot.lst first. Isn't that necessary, to avoid browser conflicts?

Mike

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
I don't see any conflicts.