WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Microcore4RaspberryPi?  (Read 7800 times)

Offline _blue4meridian

Microcore4RaspberryPi?
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:58:24 AM »
The guys @ NanoLinux confirmed that the 1st step of a Raspberry Pi fork (as in version) of NanoLinux would be a Microcore version of the Raspberry Pi port.  What would be required to do a Microcore port and does anyone know anybody (or would be... eg. the Tinycore Raspberry Pi devs OR anyone else with the same skill set from the community) willing to do this?

Posted by 76.116.131.203 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:23:08 AM by _blue4meridian »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Microcore?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
No idea what is Microcore. Regarding Nanolinux talk to Nanolinux guys. This forum supports piCore only, dervatives are out of scope here.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline _blue4meridian

Re: Microcore4RaspberryPi? (revised post title)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
I am aware you are the administrator.  I am also aware you are the RaspberryPi port dev.  However that is no cause to be brusk, hostile, rude or curt.  If you do not understand my post simply ask what I mean.  I believe "public" forums are a place to ask questions not stroke egos (that's for private forums).  I've been posting here for yrs this is the first time I've gotten this type of response. 

First off go to the forum page then go 3 categories up from this one and read the category.  Then you would have heard about what I described.  Also the admin @ NanoLinux used this term. 

The subject is posted under Raspberry Pi instead of Microcore because there is no Microcore4RaspberryPi (yet).  None the less...this category is for Tinycore4RaspberryPi (or piCore or Tinycore armv6...etc.) the logical place for something that does exist.  In regard to NanoLinux... read the post again I refered to NanoLinux to put the question (regarding RaspberryPi and Tinycore) into context.  Finally... the post subject title asks a question that can be resolved with information (and/or lack thereof) not rhetoric, dogma or syntax.

Not for nothing I did talk to the NanoLinux guys... their confirmation is the reason for this post.  If what I'm asking here is possible (which I doubt now because I need your help doing it) then I'll consult w/ them for the rest regarding their GNU/GPL (copyleft) "open source community" derivative.  I don't get it... why a make a forum and then discourage feedback?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:28:53 AM by _blue4meridian »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Microcore4RaspberryPi?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »
Who is being rude here?

Offline _blue4meridian

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
Certainly not me.  However... very possibly the the only person that has the skill set to solve the problem I posted.  Oh well... so much for community.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
The point is that it is not tinycore's task to lay the foundation for Nanolinux.
Pointing that out is not rude.  It is policy.
Your comments however were rude.

Offline _blue4meridian

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
It is  rude to claim never hearing of Microcore (apparently a legacy release) even though it's a forum category.  It is rude to point me to another project to solve a problem that your project worked on.  Feedback is not rude when speaking truth to power.  What is rude is is failing to ask what do you mean?  Which explains your response. 

Again if you don't understand the post it is hubris to attack it.  Your policy is based on GNU/GPL (copyleft) "open source" Richard Stallman's decades old vision of a level playing field.  The "open source community" stands on the shoulders of giants like him and Linus Tovalds/GNU.   Which means free as in free to use but also free to ask if it is truly "community based".  To think otherwise is elitest (eg. that other O$). 

Not for nothing... it was not Linus Tovalds task to lay foundation for DSL or it's task to lay it for TinyCore.  The only foundation I'm laying is for me so I can use your creation for my personal use.  I'm not trying to make a fork I'm trying to solve a problem.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:28:27 AM by _blue4meridian »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
The forum policy is not based in GNU/GPL.  It is based on rules laid down by the Admins.

Offline _blue4meridian

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
Again if you don't understand then ask instead of assuming.  No GNU/GPL then no "community" then no TinyCore then no forum for admins to make rules.  Doesn't matter whether a needlepoint or coding forum.  With great power comes great responsibility.  There is no chicken v egg issue here.  However... there seems to be some discomfort with the another project which appears emotionally rather than policy based.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:43:42 AM by _blue4meridian »

Offline Greg Erskine

Re: Microcore?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
No idea what is Microcore.

Hi bmarkus,

As a new comer I have found the naming conventions a little confusing.  :o

From the Tiny Core homepage:

"MicroCore 8MB is simply the kernel + core.gz - this is the foundation for user created desktops, servers, or appliances."

Are the terms Core and MicroCore interchangeable?

regards

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
There are 3 basic projects covered in this group of forums.
Core with TinyCore and CorePlus extended ISOs for the X86 .
MicroCore was replace by Core and is just the kernel and initrd.
TinyCore ISO includes Xvesa, flwm_topside, and a few utilities
MultiCore was replaced by CorePlus and is an ISO with multiple choice window managers, wifi support,  and installer scripts

dCore ( debian package compatible ) for X86 and ARM.

Picore for the Raspberry PI and several other ARM boards.

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
Thanks gerald_clark  :)

I understand now.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »
The guys @ NanoLinux confirmed that the 1st step of a Raspberry Pi fork of NanoLinux would be a Microcore version of the Raspberry Pi port.  What would be required to do a Microcore port and does anyone know anybody (or would be... eg. the Raspberry Pi devs) willing to do this?

You say "guys @ NanoLinux confirmed that the 1st step of a Raspberry Pi fork of NanoLinux would be a Microcore version of the Raspberry Pi port " than asking for some to do this. If Nanolinux is planning an RPi port it is great. If it will be based on piCore great also, we are happy to see it is used by others. But to ask people here to do that is nonsense. It is up to the Nanolinux devs, see your own opening post. Except you are member of Nanolinux team.

Shouting in general leads nowhere. Please don't be arrogant.

And one note. If you are asking for help, please learn at least the name of the thing you are talking about.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:37:29 PM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline _blue4meridian

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
More assumption???  Lurking is not shouting but assumption is (and it leads nowhere).  Lurking is not arrogance but assumption is.  Lurking (at least when it was associated with me many years ago in a ReactOs forum by their admin/devs) is being a catalyst for change instead of status quo.  Basically... the only wrong question is the one not asked.

So why assume... when simply asking the question what do you mean will suffice?  And one note.  If you are asked for help please don't assume.  Then you have the opportunity to teach the name of what was asked because you would know it.

Getting back to the thread... first NanoLinux is planning nothing nor are they interested or (appear to) have the time.  Second... the only "team" I'm a member of is "me, myself and I".  However...as a member of the "community" I always have season tickets to the game.  Third it is up to the "community" not NanoLinux (see my opening post).  Fourth it is "nonsense" to assume you do not stand on the shoulders of giants.  The giants did heavy lifting which enables you to do heavy lifting.

Finally, your repository is full of code (apps) from other projects that "share" (being selfish is for closed source) code and resources from other projects.  RaspberryPi itself is a project to democratize hardware.  In spite of ideology...   all open projects share (sometimes informally to be politically correct) because of "community" (unless they are that other O$). 

Projects are full of brilliant people but without "community" there are no customers hence no feedback to make them more brillant so the project doesn't become inactive.  Compared to Android (because of economy of scale) this is a hobby OS even though it is superior to Android (which is Google's vision of "sharing" which is bloated even on mobile) in every way.  You have an opportunity... you can be the kid who shares his marbles or the one who plays alone.

A refusal to share has no effect on me because my philosophy is based on "the only game in town".  If there is no port I might instead use your bloated (at least for my purposes) ARM port.  Or KolibriOs (smaller and more powerful assember but incomplete x86 based OS) w/ Qemu to run boot2docker.  My 10yr journey (from that other O$) has been from Slax --> Puppy --> Slitaz --> TinyCore--> to my current "complete" system that I logged in with... Android (TWRP/AOKP).

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:57:18 AM by _blue4meridian »