WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Next release candidate.  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Next release candidate.
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
u13.10-dCore.gz and dCore.gz are updatd and in the release candidates area.

http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/x86/release_candidates/

Changes so far are the ability to support different Debain based distros with the same set of dCore scripts.   Also, some cosmetic fixes to loadsce.

Note the filename fix for u13.10-dCore.gz from u13.10-dcore.gz that will affect bootloader entries.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Next release candidate.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
u13.10-dCore.gz is now ub-dCore.gz so as not to be confused with uCore images.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
hi jason_w,

is ub-dCore a fork or is it just an extended dCore that will be the main branch?

i mainly use a vanilla debian, but perhaps it could happen that i want to use an ubuntu-package some day... :)
so what do you recommend?

thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:01:26 PM by netnomad »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »
Hi netnomad,
ub-dCore is the same set of dCore scripts, same kernel, and same prebuilt and startup scripts.  The difference is the base libraries and the package repo it pulls from.  It is not a fork, but just another way to use dCore.  Any development in one benefits the other.

One thing I am wanting is to provide the widest array of available packages via either the extra repo option in Wheezy dCore or by the PPA available in Ubuntu rather than by the prebuilt section.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »
Maybe there should be some kind of script to put together the initrd with libraries from specific debian derivative repository and specific version ?

Since there is already ubuntu and debian, maybe offer user an option to make e.g. debian sid version (at his own risk) ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
Packing a Sid dCore.gz would be fairly simple, but running testing or sid system usually requires the means to update the system frequently, so it would an exercise in frustration for most to run a dCore made from it, even if the base libraries were up to date when the dCore.gz image was made.  And base files sometimes change location between releases, which would make it unreliable to script.

Jessie (current Debian testing)is scheduled to be frozen on Nov 5th, which would says to me that sometime this summer that Jessie would be reasonably stable enough to base a testing dCore image on.  Which would give us ample time to play with it and have it polished before the official release. 

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:02:13 AM »
I wonder if systemd migration in Jessie will cause some issues here or not.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
That is a good question, but as we don't use Debian's system init process, only their individual process start/stop scripts in /etc/init.d when we want to start or stop services I don't think things here will be much affected.  Given this, I may pack a Jessie dCore.gz soon for at least my own testing.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
On the Jessie upgrade, I have packed a Jessie dCore for my own initial testing  and I do see a boot hang perhaps related to udev.  May have to do with systemd or may be something simple.  But there is always a solution.

I uploaded a new RC of dCore.gz and ub-dCore.gz.  Main things are a quicker import dependency routine in debGetDeps and debGetPkgList  when GNU grep is installed, otherwise defaulting to busybox.  Also, the "-n" non-interactive mode is available for importsce.  Which means that if you call importsce on a package name the exists in either the prebuilt section, extra repo, or main package pool you won't have to answer any questions unless you choose the "-d" option to choose a dependency sce.    If you call "importsce xorg-a" instead of "importsce xorg-all" then a menu will come up as usual since that package does not exist but similarly named ones do.  If you use "importsce xorg-al" then no menu will come up and xorg-all will be imported same as before since no other package shares "xorg-al" in the name and the select menu does not give a selection but goes with the one option when there is only one menu item.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:21:37 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
Uploaded dCore.gz and ub-dCore.gz to the release candidates area.  Bugfixes on ppa-add to create /opt/debextra if not existing, and other bugfixes related to the extra repo functions.