WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "Frugall" dCore installing...  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Silent

"Frugall" dCore installing...
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »
Hi! Its me again, the biggest noob around here. So... i want to buy a "new" PC soon, it comes without any OS and i was wondering: 1. How can i get there "forever" the newest dCore? 2. How can i install all of the neccessery stuff on my HDD, the way when i run my PC next time it will work as i want? 3. How am i gonna update the dCore and my progs? 4. Will ethernet & usb(FAT32) work from the start? --- Please answer here or help me to find the answers myself. Thanks!

P.S. Thank you Jason for that AssaultCube, i didnt have time to reply there, so im doing it now. :)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: "Frugall" dCore installing...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
Hi,
I personally use grub2 to boot Core and dCore, instructions for that should be the same as with standard Core, that grub2 info file should help.  dCore.gz is the initrd, and vmlinuz is the kernel, there are many places online that give examples of grub2 usage.

http://tinycorelinux.net/5.x/x86/tcz/grub2.tcz.info

Not sure what you mean by forever the newest dCore.  Just download a new release or release candidate, copy it to your existing boot area, and reboot. 

Since dCore uses Debian stable, there is not much need to worry about updates to programs.  Though there is a tool in the repo called importupdatecheck to assist with locating updated packages. 

Ethernet by dhcp should just work for common setups, fat32 is supported in the kernel. 

Offline Silent

Re: "Frugall" dCore installing...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
Thank you very much! I meant to use grub, since i had split my old XP with Ubuntu long time ago, but my friend did it for me, so i didnt know if grub will work for dCore too, nor that it works within it. And thats what i was thinking... so just replace the old files? Great! Maybe even i can handle that. Ok, by update i meant that if there is a newer version of VLC for example, if ill have to check out myself or not. Looks like "importupdatecheck" will help me with that. I see... so ill have to test internet myself later, but i used to have some trouble with my FAT32. It was an old, like more than 8 years old, 256MB pen drive. And when i run the Core it was listed but i couldnt mount it for some reason. On the newest Win and Ubuntu it is -r-w so maybe ill try some different. I got couple of other usb storage devices, hopefully one of them will work. Cos i wanna have my important files stored somewhere else and i was gonna test it before ill buy big external HDD for this purpose. Anyways thanks again, ill check out the "grub-stuff" on the net and let others know some useful info, if i would be able to provide any...