WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: colinux  (Read 1959 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
colinux
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »
hello

do you know if you can help me with a small issue about TCL running under colinux?

current situation.

Microcore appears to boot fine on the win32 desktop under colinux. ...boots RIght to the tcl prompt.
Networking is also there and i can wget and other such things.

It appears to me that the actual description of the tools i used was wrong because they
called it "tinycore under co-linux" when it seems to only boot to Microcore.

The descriptions say that co-linux isn't like Qemu  because it does not offer
an X windows environment. You must find your own X win server for win32 and deploy it
on the win32 desktop to talk between the co-linux(microcore box) and the win32 OS.

That paragraph above is what i wanted help with.  I have understood and installed
Xming X server but no youtube videos show you how to actually put the "Xming" LINK together over putty SSH between your co-linux box and the win32 OS.  I have the correct SLIRP ip address
for my microcore machine.

Would it be the case that you just stick that ip into the X server option of putty?
Googling this seemed to say yes.....but it didn't specifically show how to do it in the
SSH panel of putty.

Once Xming is talking to co-linux then i have a linux command that "should" drag down
the tcl "appbrowser" and install it and show it as a gui window. Then, presumably  i further
download a window manager and such steps which take microcore up to a GUI tinycore
enviro right?

thanks

V
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:59:11 AM by cast-fish »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: colinux
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:08:39 AM »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:43:36 AM »
ye tiny

i saw that but don't understand some of it.

For instance, the first part seems to result in microcore on win32.......not tinycore.

Hi explanation is poor, in the usage of both win32 and linux commands.

i can't really understand how he's done it ,

Later on he seems to be talking about "making drives" for co-linux in a linux command line environment?..........such as swap drives and stuff........ but "co-linux" runs in the win32 world?

(there is a win32 command close by each batch of linux commands......... but i don't understand it)

it's not my lack of understanding, but *much* more a case of a very poor explanation from the user.
(it's free, i hear people say....oh right, but does it make any sense?)

There is another similar colinux explanation on the TCL forum which is again, poorly explained because some steps are missing....

The other explanation misses out steps which my OP mentions i need help with.  (Xming and SSH putty)

i only got step one completed from your link. Microcore runs here in win32 with networking.(colinux)

V

"core" they call it now.....right

will continue to look at all this....the Xming stuff but thank

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:50:52 AM by cast-fish »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
Hello

well thanks

that looks perfect

there is a lot there to be getting on with ...(but they say it's relatively simple)

many thanks

V

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »
ye

this is still proving tricky

it seems that each respective individual tool (in it's own right) is also pretty poorly explained on their home page....such as Xming.

They are very unclear about their own tool, and which third party stuff is included in it. (such as SSH and PUTTY)

It's basicaly hard to find a demonstration of setting up Xming with puttty and SSH to talk to a
linux box......there are some for debian examples....but they are not too clever

The actual COLINUX explanations from this forum are flawed in quite a few areas....and kind of half work up to a point where the author then says  "assuming you bla  bla bla".....assume nothing
if you want a novice to follow your tutorial.

a few hours now.....kind of learned a bit....but not much

V