WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is findshares open source?  (Read 25319 times)

Offline Scooby

Re: Is findshares open source?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
I think it looks good now.

Actually, you can bind multiple IPs to a NIC as illus trated in the output above.

How do you do that? Seems an easier way to test than with Vbox?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
Hi Scooby
How do you do that? Seems an easier way to test than with Vbox?
Eth0 was already configured. I just executed:
Code: [Select]
sudo ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.2.55 up
sudo ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.1.77 up

Offline ko

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
Hi Scooby
Google won't help you. Findshares is something I wrote partly to learn programming in C and partly because I was not happy
with any of the programs available for performing these functions. Source code is attached.
@Rich:

I registered on this forum just to contact you as author of findshares.  The question "is Findshares open source" has not been fully answered.  In fact, this came up on the Mepis/MX forum after already a lot of work had been done towards a new version of Findshares called MX-Find Shares:

See    http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=36929&start=40

Quote from: Adrian
Thanks, the bad news is that I discovered that the findshares CLI program has a custom license that is not compatible with GPL: "You do not include or package it with any software for which a fee is collected." so it means that if we include the program in the ISO people won't be able to sell CDs or USB flashdrives with MX Linux on it.

If anybody has the contact for the author Copyright (C) Richard A. Rost  April 23,2011 maybe we can contact him and see if he's willing to change the license to GPL, BSD, Apache, MIT, or any other free license that doesn't have that kind of clause.

My question:  would you be willing to change the license as suggested? 
We'd very much like to be able to provide an .iso of MX - containing MX-find shares - that may be sold as CD / USB flashdrive by other parties without running into licensing problems.

Please PM me or email me,

Regards,   Ko
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:23:07 AM by ko »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »

The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Hi ko
My question:  would you be willing to change the license as suggested?
Since findshares is freely available for anyone to download and run I currently see no reason to change the copyright.

Offline ko

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Hello Rich:

Regarding your answer regarding our earlier proposal to change the licensing terms for findshares:

We are not selling software, we have no plans to have anyone else sell our software, and we agree with the license.  We intend to include and package your findshares with our MX Find Shares GUI software for use in MX-14 and antiX, the copyright holder of MX Find Shares. Both findshares and MX Find Shares are Free software for which no fees are collected.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:38:32 AM by ko »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
Hi ko
Thank you for your understanding. I don't know if you read this whole thread, but there are newer source files posted in reply #19
in which findshares will scan all network interfaces in a machine instead of just the first one found.

I'm curious to see what kind of GUI you came up with, where can I find MX-Find Shares?

After joining and logging in it said   "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Offline ko

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »
@Rich : Thanks for the findshares source version 1.06.   We will upgrade MX Findshares to use 1.06.   
Once the upgraded (1.06) .deb package is available I'll point you to the repository where you can download it.  You will probably need a lot more packages (dependencies) to be able to see what the GUI looks like.

The thread on the Mepis forum that was referenced earlier is in a separate forum section for the Development Team : 
You cannot read that forum because it's one of the MEPIS community restricted forums. Even with a regular account you won't see anything in it.   Sorry about that.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
Hi ko
You are welcome. Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Offline ko

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
Hi ko
You are welcome. Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.
OK Rich,
While waiting for the 1.06 based MX-Findshares version to arrive:  here's the current (1.05 based) MX-Findshares .deb package for you to have a look at.   
I don't know if you have a Debian Wheezy based distribution CD around to try it on (after HD-installation).... 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:59:35 PM by Rich »

Offline ko

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
OK - here's the MX-findshare .deb package that uses findshares 1.06
(version 14.2+2)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:59:49 PM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
Hi ko
Thank you. By the way, forum rules prohibit attaching binaries to posts so I had to remove them.
I took a quick look through the package, and while you acknowledge me as the author of findshares when the  About  button is clicked
and you did include my licensing terms in the doc directory, I noticed you stripped the version number and copyright message that
used to display when running my program. If for some reason you find the message objectionable every time the program is run, then
at least relocate it to display with the help text.

Offline ko

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 06:42:37 AM »
Hi ko
Thank you. By the way, forum rules prohibit attaching binaries to posts so I had to remove them.
I took a quick look through the package, and while you acknowledge me as the author of findshares when the  About  button is clicked
and you did include my licensing terms in the doc directory, I noticed you stripped the version number and copyright message that
used to display when running my program. If for some reason you find the message objectionable every time the program is run, then
at least relocate it to display with the help text.
Rich: we apologize for completely removing text that is shown whenever mindshares is run. Of course it must also be clear to you that MX-findshares has its own GPL 3.0 license and we do not really like to show different licenses within the combined package (Findshares CLI + MX-Findshares GUI).  I have asked our guys to re-implement showing your license for findshares when the command # findshares --help  is run.
Once again, our apologies for removing your text without at least showing that text whenever the findshares command is run with the --help argument.  We should have thought of this ourselves

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 07:00:12 AM »
Hi ko
Thank you. One of the reasons I mentioned it is someone could unpack the .deb file and separate my program from the package, thus
losing that information.

Offline ko

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
OK Rich, the text has been re-introduced into findshares (1.06) which is used in MX-findshares 14.2+2 :

Adrian wrote:
It's done, it's the same .deb I didn't change the version number because it's not a released package yet, so it's not that relevant to bump the version for any small change.

Thanks Adrian,
I've checked it (of course...:-))   Completely removed MX findshares and then re-installed the corrected MX-findshares deb.

Code: [Select]
ko@lappy:~
$ su
Password:
root@lappy:/home/ko# findshares --help
Local Host Name  = lappy
Local IP Address = 192.168.0.193 on wlan0

findshares version 1.06 Mar 11, 2014
Copyright Richard A. Rost April 23, 2011

This program attempts to locate remote shares on Windows,
Samba, and NFS servers in the same subnet as the local IP
address. Any remote shares found that are mounted in the
local file system are indicated.

Usage:  findshares [-nn] [--no-nfs] [-ns] [--no-smb]

Options:
   -nn [--no-nfs]   Show only Windows/Samba shares
   -ns [--no-smb]   Show only NFS shares

root@lappy:/home/ko#

Rich: I hope this solution is satisfactory to you.   Can we consider the issue solved now?
If you do want to have the 14.2+2 deb file: here's a download link:

https://github.com/AdrianTM/mx-findshares/raw/master/mx-findshares_14.2%2B2_i386.deb
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:20:21 PM by ko »