WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tty font size, adjusting, no X, no gui, also bg & fg color  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Lew_Rockwell_Fan

tty font size, adjusting, no X, no gui, also bg & fg color
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:01 PM »
Plain mc. No X. No gui. No windows. Just command line in "tty", i.e., not windowed.
Just wanted to make that part perfectly clear.

How can I set the font size? It would be nice to set the default fg/bg color too, but size is essential if I'm to be able to use this. All I want is a bare tty that will let me navigate the directory structure of local files and use bash-like commands like:
cd
mv
cp
and hopefully run some scripts.

Right now the font is impossibly tiny for me.
Thanks for reading.

BTW, these are the hardest captchas I've ever seen. And the audio captcha isn't working for me at all. Overkill, guys. This may be a deal breaker for me.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: tty font size, adjusting, no X, no gui, also bg & fg color
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »
You would not call it overkill if you had to deal with the spam without them.

Post the output of 'showbootcodes'.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Do you prefer to change display resolution entirely, or to load a different console font?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Lew_Rockwell_Fan

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
Post the output of 'showbootcodes'.
loglevel=3 initrd=/boot/core.gz BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz
Do you prefer to change display resolution entirely, or to load a different console font?
I was thinking of the font, but actually I suspect either would work, at least for the immediate purpose. If I had thought of changing resolution I'd have experimented with xrandr before bothering y'all. Anyway - either, maybe both? I'll see which looks more readable. Changing fonts is a little more flexible approach. Eventually I'll probably try Core with an Openbox  DE also and at that point I think the font approach will definitely be better since that way I'll be able to adjust the tty independently of the gui stuff.  So knowing how to do either would help, both would be better. The font approach seems slightly preferable.

Thank you, both, gentles.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
Xrandr only works with X.  You said " No X. No gui. No windows."
Try the vga=xyz boot code.

Offline Lew_Rockwell_Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
Xrandr only works with X.
I suspected that from the name but I"d have tried it anyway, since my suspicions are often wrong.

Try the vga=xyz boot code.
I tried about half the numbers in the first 2 columns. Nothing changed. I'll get back to this in an hour or 2 and try the rest. Is one of those 2 system files an archive with the normal sorts of config files inside it? If so, could I just extract it, find a likely file to edit and then recompress it?

Thanks.
----------------
Added later:
OK, I tried the rest of the numbers in the first 2 columns. Nothing changed.  I doubt it is related, but I'll mention an oddity. If I "su" the response is "segmentation fault". But no problem with sudo su, nor plain sudo, so it is of no practical consequence.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:20:20 AM by Lew_Rockwell_Fan »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 03:03:08 AM »
To get presented with a choice use boot code
Code: [Select]
vga=ask
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

Offline volkerp

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »
Hi Lew_Rockwell_Fan,

How many lines and how many columns does  your console show?
What's your screen size?

Offline Lew_Rockwell_Fan

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »
Gentles, thank you. I'm going to shelve the problem for now. Apparently I never actually never had it installed anyway. I thought I did but it must have been running live from the cd. Now I'm focusing instead on trying to install to a VirtualBox vm. At least I can scale the window that way. It makes fonts blurry but they can be read. If I can ever figure out how to install it, I'll revisit this issue. If I can get it to work in VirtualBox, including getting the fonts reset, I'll try again. Maybe I'm just being stupid but I haven't had much luck so far. I'll try again with CorePlus. Anyway, that's a different topic and so belongs in a different thread. If I have questions on it, I'll start a new thread. And if ever get it installed virtually or on spinning rust, I'll come back to this if I don't resolve it along the way.

Thanks, all, for your efforts.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
Gentles, thank you. I'm going to shelve the problem for now. Apparently I never actually never had it installed anyway. I thought I did but it must have been running live from the cd.

That is irrelevant.