WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (SOLVED) XDrdesktop  (Read 12490 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: XDrdesktop
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
Hi Drew
If you execute:
Code: [Select]
ls /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/Do you see  xdrdesktop.tcz  show up?

Offline Drew

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
Hi Rich,

Just to confirm, I've been messing around with it since my last post, and the extensions are still in the optional folder.  However, I discovered through poking around the onboot.lst file.  So I added xdrdesktop.tcz to that list, and it appears to be loading at boot now, there's even an icon that occupies a spot on the bar.

I still haven't successfully saved an .rdp file yet that the user can easily select to run.  I am also getting a warning message when logging out of the remote session that says the following: 

WARNING: rdp_out_unistr:  iconv_open[ANSI_X3.4-1968 -> UTF-16LE] fail 0xffffffff

I can confirm that this warning is thrown by the backend, as the same error occurs when running the rdesktop connection from terminal.  xdrdesktop will beep at you and throw the warning window up.  But running rdesktop in terminal, you have to actually be paying attention to the terminal window where rdesktop is running so you can see the error once you lose your remote window -- no beep though.  Not sure if this is still keyboard related, as I also don't have a fully working keyboard yet.  Any thoughts?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:58:43 AM »
Hi Drew
I run freeRDP and get warning messages too when I disconnect. I just ignore them.
I still haven't successfully saved an .rdp file yet that the user can easily select to run.
I wasn't aware that there were  .rdp  files. Though I don't use it, I happened to have  xdrdesktop  installed and all I find is
a file called  xdrdesktoprc  under  .rdesktop  in the home directory.

Offline Drew

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »
Typically, you have the option on .rdp GUI clients, like tsclient (another rdesktop frontend, I think for gtk) for example, to actually save a configuration, or hard code it in a manner of speaking.  It will generally save in the .rdp file extension (remote desktop protocol).  In either case, I would like to be able to run the correct rdesktop script at boot, or have a clearly visible .rdp file for any of our users to click on and run.

Must be something to the warning, but probably not harmful.  I do not get the warning on the Linux Mint box.  Oh well.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
Hi Drew
WARNING: rdp_out_unistr:  iconv_open[ANSI_X3.4-1968 -> UTF-16LE] fail 0xffffffff
Try installing  glibc_gconv.tcz  and see if it goes away.

I use a script to connect to remote machines. If you want an icon to click on, you might want to create a personal extension
for that. There is information in the Wiki on that topic.

Offline Drew

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
I actually don't mind running a script, something that would run at start-up so the user is presented with the login screen almost immediately.  But in case the user doesn't enter credentials soon enough, before the login screen goes away, then they will have to have some sort of recourse.  I supposed if the script is looping, then they will get the screen again in short order?  Is that advisable?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
Hi Drew
I would have the script prompt for the credentials and then pass them on to  rdesktop.

Since I'm the only one using my computer I have my credentials included in the script so logon is automatic.

Offline Drew

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »
Two things:  First, not good at scripting really, need some guidance there.  I know how to used rdesktop in terminal, but as far as creating a script, I'm a bit lost.

Second, this script would need to run automatically upon boot, and if the user fails to enter credentials in time, the script would loop, or give them the login screen again if necessarily.  I suppose the script would also have to stop upon successful login.  If the user gets kicked off their session, then somehow the script would have to be re-run.  So I there, I think it starts to get a bit dicey. 

Maybe building my own extension is the way to go after all.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Hi Drew
I'm not very good at scripting either, mainly because I don't do it very often. I often use system scripts as guidelines and
for ideas. /usr/bin/ contains scripts beginning with  tce-  along with others. Here's something to try to get you started.
create a file in your home directory under  .local/bin/  called  loginremote.sh  containing:
#!/bin/sh
USERNAME=""
PASSWORD=""

while true
do
echo -n "Username: "
read USERNAME
echo -n "Password: "
read PASSWORD
echo $USERNAME $PASSWORD
rdesktop -u "$USERNAME" -p "$PASSWORD"
done
Add whatever other parameters you need to the  rdesktop  line. After you have created the file, execute:
chmod 755 ~/.local/bin/login.shThat will make it executable. Now create a file called  loginremote  in the  .wmx  directory. It should contain:
loginremote.sh &This will automatically start the  loginremote.sh  script once the GUI is displayed.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
There is such an RDP example chapter in the core book, with a looping startup.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Drew

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
Rich,

After rebooting, the scripts no longer exist, so again, I haven't correctly installed TC in a way that makes changes like this persistent.

But, I appreciate the info, I'm sure it will help once I get bigger issues resolved.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Hi curaga
You'd think I would have known that, but I guess proofreading is not the same as reading for content.

@Drew: curaga has written a very fine book on Tinycore which in my opinion is a must read for all newcomers to Tinycore.
             http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16617.msg99213.html#msg99213

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
Hi Drew
After rebooting, the scripts no longer exist,
Did you run a backup?

Offline Drew

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
I did not run a backup, again, not something I'm familiar with having to do to remember a system state.  But I suppose the bigger issue is I should read the book first.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
Hi Drew
You do use the  Exit  icon on the bottom the the screen to reboot, don't you? There's a small dialog window that pops up
when you do. Backup Options  is listed there and should be set to  Backup.