WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (SOLVED) XDrdesktop  (Read 12506 times)

Offline Drew

(SOLVED) XDrdesktop
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Real Tinycore noob here, just set up account.  Have been running the current edition as of 02/07/2014.  Like it a lot.  Exploring it's use at the thin client level.  Have it running on an Igel 5+ years old.  Seems to be running well.  Have installed rdesktop backend, have successfully connected to WIN Server 2008R2 without error.  This is great news, as the old .rdp client built into the Igel/linux OS was out of date, and no longer supported, which again, brings us to where we are now with trying to hang on to 50 or so thin clients, and keep using them. 

My issue is more related to a huge brain @%#$ I think, because I have seen posts related to installing XDrdesktop as a suitable GUI for rdesktop.  Problem is, I can't find it in the apps browser, or if it's not supposed to be there, I'm at a loss as to how to get it installed.  I feel like I'm almost there, but am missing that one piece of the puzzle being clouded by the brain fog.

Please, what am I missing?  Thanks ahead of time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:27:53 PM by Drew »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: XDrdesktop
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi Drew
XDrdesktop is just a script. It looks like all its dependencies are already in TC5.x so you should be able to just copy it from
the TC4.x repository. Open a terminal and:
Code: [Select]
wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/XDrdesktop.tcz
wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/XDrdesktop.tcz.dep
Copy the files to your  tce  directory. Use the  Apps  utility to check for and install missing dependencies. Please report
back on how it went.

Offline Drew

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the quick response.  However, I'm getting a server not found error on the first command that you gave, haven't tried the second one yet.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
Hi Drew
Sorry about that, try:
wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/xdrdesktop.tcz
wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/xdrdesktop.tcz.dep

Offline Drew

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
Thanks for the correction.  Got the files.  Not sure about TC file structure, not great about copying files via command either, as I don't see a file manager built in.  May be one for download, but I would just as soon use this as an opportunity to become more familiar with command, at least enough to move things around.  Your other post mentioned to take the two files and copy them to TCE, extensions directory I guess?  Can you give me just a little more guidance here as to where things are in TC?  Thanks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
Hi Drew
Yes, you want to copy them to your extensions directory, try:
cp xdrdesk* /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/

Offline Drew

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
The command worked fine, thanks.  Was able to browse to the directory, and run 'ls' and it shows in the specified directory.  However, when I go to report missing dependencies, it shows "hsqs^K" (keymap dependency?) dependency is missing, and it errors out while trying to fetch it. 

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
Hi Drew
A quick Google search seems to suggest it may have something to do with squash file systems, though I don't know why that
should happen. Try using  Apps  to check which dependencies are installed from this list:
  bash.tcz                                     401408,   0.38 MB
  glib1.tcz                                     81920,   0.08 MB
  gtk1.tcz                                     733184,   0.70 MB
+ libao.tcz                                     20480,   0.02 MB
  libusb.tcz                                    32768,   0.03 MB
  ncurses-common.tcz                            12288,   0.01 MB
  ncurses.tcz                                  151552,   0.14 MB
  openssl-1.0.0.tcz                           1486848,   1.42 MB
  pcsc-lite.tcz                                 57344,   0.05 MB
  rdesktop.tcz                                 143360,   0.14 MB
  schumacher-clean-fonts.tcz                    28672,   0.03 MB
  Xdialog.tcz                                   36864,   0.04 MB
  xdrdesktop.tcz                                16384,   0.02 MB
And have it install the ones that are missing. Then have it  load  xdrdesktop.tcz , there should be a Local function for that.

Offline Drew

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »
Missing dependencies from list were ncurses-common.tcz, and ncurses.tcz.  Installed those, but still shows the hsqs.tcz dependency is missing, and fails to resolve it.  When I go to RUNprogram and try to start xdrdesktop, it's as if it's not even there.  Also, you mentioned squashFS.  I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but I have this installed on a CF card formatted to ext2.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »
Hi Drew
Enter this in a terminal:
tce-load -i /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/xdrdesktop.tczIf you get an error, post the exact error message. You can copy from the terminal by holding down the left mouse button
and highlighting the text. Then paste into the browser by clicking the middle button.

Offline Drew

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
Hi Rich,

Entered the command, and message says:

hsqs

not found!

That's essentially saying the same thing that the dependency check did.  It's looking for hsqs, but it's not there.  Not sure how to resolve that yet.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »
Hi Drew
OK, I think I know what happened. One of the  .tcz  files is probably corrupted. hsqs is the signature at the beginning of
a squashed file which is what  .tcz  files are. Try this:
cd /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/
wget -c http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/xdrdesktop.tcz.md5.txt
for i in `ls *.md5.txt`; do md5sum -c $i; done
See if any errors are reported and redownload those extensions

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi Drew
If you use this for the last command in my previous post:
for i in `ls *.md5.txt`; do md5sum -c $i | grep -v OK; doneit will only report the extensions with bad checksums.

Offline Drew

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
Hi Rich,

Will tackle it tomorrow, closing up shop for today.  Thanks, will let you know how it goes.

Offline Drew

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 05:54:17 AM »
Hi Rich,

Finally got it working after re-downloading the extensions, running the dependency check again, and updating dep files.  Not sure how the other file got corrupted, but anyway -- all is well that ends well.  Two problems though:  I guess I didn't configure the installation correctly, as it did not keep my extensions upon reboot.  I'm sure I told the installer to create the tce directory, but maybe I missed a step.   It's like nothing is there anymore except rdesktop which looks to be built in. 

I'm wondering if it isn't easier to simply build a looping .rdp script that runs at boot so a user is simply presented with a login screen.  If he/she doesn't login in time, then the script loops so they will get continued login screen presentations.  Of course, that will somehow need to be saved so that a reboot doesn't wreck the configuration.  That is where I will need further guidance.

Keyboard number pad isn't working either, perhaps I missed a step or two there as well.  The credit card reader, however, works flawlessly, a real bonus in my book.  It even works through the entire .rdp chain.  In other words, our users are connecting to an apps server, and from there, to another apps server that runs our ERP system, which is what finally interacts with the CC reader.  It works flawlessly while preserving alt-tab keyboard functions to switch between apps.

If I could find a reasonably simple method of storing a working configuration, then I will roll this out as a method of Igel updates.  It seems promising, but my lack of knowledge is the biggest hurdle right now.