WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Drivers' ready availability  (Read 1920 times)

Offline ghar

Drivers' ready availability
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
I am an newbie planning to use TC. My needs are quite few and limited to the most basic programs of the average internet user: web browsing, email, word processing, video watching.
I was happy to learn that all these programs are available in the repository.
Now I have only one worry: drivers.
Does TC use any drivers from other big Linux ecosystems such as Ubuntu? If this were the case, it would be reassuring, because my worry is adopting TC only to discover, down the road, that the lack of drivers makes TC's wonderful nomadic potential useless. In other words, I would like to be assured that *at least for the most basic OS functionality*, TC is compatible enough to run anywhere. For instance, does TC have video-rendering problems running on some hardware?

Thanks

ghar

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Drivers' ready availability
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
tinycore uses drivers from the stock linux kernel and several users have contributed out-of-tree driver extensions.

Video rendering problems are usually the result of closed-source hardware/drivers or very new hardware - if you list the hardware you're concerned about, we can probably comment on its usability in tinycore.

Offline ghar

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
if you list the hardware you're concerned about, we can probably comment on its usability in tinycore.

Well, actually I don't have any particular hardware in mind. I am just planning to use the nomadic mode on an USB stick, using whatever hardware I come across, which means anything.

The two most important functionalities are:

1) making the video work (at least with a low resolution, which would be good enough for most non-entertainment purposes)

2) making the network adaptor card work -- which is essential in order to connect to the TC server and download apps

The gist of my question, which I rephrase here, was: can I expect that the most basic functionalities (at least the two just mentioned above) will work across the hardware platforms? And can I expect it to work out of the box, without downloading any extra drivers?

Thanks again

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:07:37 AM »
Xvesa (the default) works on most graphics cards made since 1998. Likewise, we support most wired ethernet cards by default.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline ghar

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
Likewise, we support most wired ethernet cards by default.

What about WiFi?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
wifi is very hardware dependent - the stock linux kernel drivers are available in an extension and there are several other drivers available.

If you take a look here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/

..you should have a better idea of the state of wifi in linux