WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Difficulties with CorePlus installation to a pendrive  (Read 20862 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Difficulties with CorePlus installation to a pendrive
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
The windows ext2/3/4 drivers have been stable for years now - there's really no need to make a fat partition.

When the drivers are installed, you don't get the message offering to format your drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Hi, Gerald.

Just quit talking about it and do it.
Try it several different ways and see which suits your needs.
It's not our job to make all your decisions for you.

It would be best to just ignore your rude remarks, painful as they are, but in the spirit of comraderie may I offer the suggestion that you seek the causes of your anger in yourself? That will be the only way to cure it and be more light-hearted.

Cheers.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
Hi, coreplayer2.

Unless you have files to transfer, a FAT partition seems a waste of space.

Okay, now I see the problem. With my Puppeee Linux installation, I can transfer files to and from the HDD (while I'm in Puppeee) just by mounting the HDD; but maybe that's because Puppeee was installed onto a FAT-formatted pendrive (from Windows). I guess it won't be the same with the ext2 filesystem of TCL. (Don't worry, I definitely won't try to read the TCL pendrive from Windows <grin>.)

I normally go with one partition on such small USB thumb drives.

8gb isn't so small, although I suppose that after downloading tcz's I'll have taken up about half of it. The only reason I thought having two partitions might be a good idea was in order to have one for safety in case I crash the whole TCL partition.

Here's a question that's been floating around in my brain for a while: If I were to install TCL from Windows using core2usb.exe, would I still have to do a second installation using the Installer app, just like I had to do when I first installed the TCL iso onto a pendrive? What this question boils down to is, does core2usb.exe do a real installation just like the Installer app? (I'm assuming you've used core2usb.exe or know how it works. Otherwise, just ignore.)

Cheers.

Mike
Asus eeePC 1000HA, Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, CorePlus-5.1 on 8GB flash drive.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
I am not angry.
You have been talking about installing for weeks now.
If you ever want to get over this hurdle, you need to get off your butt and actually do it.
I am just trying to get you to quit agonizing about the best way to format you disk and do a few installs so you can actually learn something.
It only takes a couple of minutes, and if you are not happy with it do it over.

Offline Mike7

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Gerald-

I want my next installation to be a good one that I can stay with. That means, for one thing, setting up the pendrive properly. What's the point of installing again, onto a pendrive that's set up wrong, and then having to repeat the process all over again?

Forethought seems to me to be what's indicated here, and for that I need all the information I can get.

I'm anxious to start using TCL. I'm not anxious to use it and then have to wipe it out again.

Mike

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
This is a great thread for a beginner to read.  ;D
AMD, ARM, & Intel.