WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can you setup Wifi with a static ip address?  (Read 22486 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Can you setup Wifi with a static ip address?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Those instructions are for connecting at boot using udhcpc.

I don't have a problem connecting using udhcpc.

Seriously now??
Those instructions seem to make it more than crystal clear that running udhcpc is a distinct step after running wpa_supplicant!!
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »
A quick search for "dhcp" in manpage of wpa_supplicant(8) bears exactly one result:
After wpa_supplicant has configured the network device, higher level configuration such as DHCP may proceed.

Keywords: "such as", "may" :D
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Trace

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
Have either of you two who constantly make this out to be simple ever actually done this successfully?

I have spent three days trying to learn these tools and need help from people who have used them successfully in the circumstances I am asking about .... that is why I'm here.   I have never said that I have wep so have no idea why that is being mentioned and I have no complaints about dhcpc it works very well .... I was looking for advice from anybody who had actually connected without it.

If you can't help please do not talk down to me because I require a simpler explanation than you would.

I can't believe it's such a steep learning curve to just get a connection with a static ip.

If tc is unsuitable for what I am asking about then please tell me and it will save us all a lot of time.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
Have either of you two who constantly make this out to be simple ever actually done this successfully?

Sure... but:
1. Only when for some reasons of circumstance dhcp was temporarily less suitable than static config.
2. Only on a WLAN which I'd administrate myself and therefore would have accurate knowledge about which address range is suitable, and info regarding gateway and dns.

There is no difference between statically configuring an established wireless vs. a wired link (and steps have already been hinted in this thread).

Offline Trace

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Ok ....

1) dhcp is permanently less suitable here as detailed on page 1.

2) Can you tell me how you did it in your option 2 because that is the circumstances I am looking for help with.

You seem to constantly avoid helping me, I don't understand why it should be so difficult for you to help.

I play guitar, if someone asks me how I play something and I know how to do it I tell or show them ...... I don't hint at it or tell them to go and study music.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
What have you done to get your NIC associated?
You have been pointed to wiki articles that tell you how, but you don't seem interested in reading them.
I am no longer interested in replying here.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
2) Can you tell me how you did it in your option 2 because that is the circumstances I am looking for help with.

Searching back in thread for occurrence, rather surprisingly it was you posting a detailed step-by-step howto (Reply #8), that is exactly how I would do it.

You seem to constantly avoid helping me, I don't understand why it should be so difficult for you to help.

If I had wanted to avoid to help you, I could just have stopped posting, but if you don't appreciate my help and apparently also not the help of several others, then I can still just do that.

I play guitar, if someone asks me how I play something and I know how to do it I tell or show them ...... I don't hint at it or tell them to go and study music.

I am unaware of housecalls being organized through this forum, it's all writing and reading, and often pointing to suitable documentation is one of the best services which could be rendered to someone searching to deal with a subject, as not everyone who has knowledge would be a good doc writer or teacher.

Speaking from own experience, when I decided I wanted to start bothering with WPA, I was reading for 2 weeks about it until I was confident enough to start practicing, first all related official documentation (wpa_supplicant and friends), and then what ever I could google about the subject, wikis, howtos, tech sites and blogs etc. etc.

Offline Trace

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
I have been reading articles for three days .... and have ended up completely confused, I've said this many times.

That is why I came here because I thought this was the best place to get some basic help with static ip network connection in coreplus.

I didn't register here till I'd been reading and trying everything I could find on google on the subject for two days including everything that's been "hinted" at here.

And I have been constantly trying everything that is suggested to me.

I need totally basic help from someone who has actually done what I am asking and is willing to help.

If you've not done this, what was the point in replying and complaining about me asking????? and if you have why is it such a secret?

I am lost in this and need real basic help, is that not what the forum is for?

Simply is it possible to EASILY connect with a static ip address in Coreplus?

Can anyone give me a direct answer ?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
The only thing wrt "EASILY" I could think of which has not yet been explicitely mentioned is that you try wpa_gui with Core 4.x - as it has not been ported to 5.x as of yet.

Offline Trace

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
I've been trying things for days including all of your advice.

I'm not willing to have to spend two weeks studying this as you have said you had to.

I came here hoping for help from someone who had actually done this and I don't believe you have after you stated that you had .... and then referred to instructions I had already tried on page 1 as the way you "would" do it...... after directing or in your words "hinting" to several other different instructions that had nothing to do with this method.

Or again your keeping your real method a secret for some reason?

I've never seen anyone put so much effort into being evasive and not helping someone asking for help on a forum.

It makes me wonder if the truth is that noone answering this thread has ever really done this but would rather waste my time than admit it .... a real let down ..... and Coreplus is of no use for anyone with a static ip who is not willing to put in hundreds of hours of study?...... that's not the impression I got from the homepage.

Offline Trace

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 05:33:30 PM »
Ok Gerald .... apologies for the new thread .... after consideration I think it was my fault for wording the original question wrongly in the 1st place and this thread has gone completely away from my intended subject .... so I'll put the new subject here:

Is anybody here using the latest Coreplus with a static ip address over wifi at the moment?

Please only answer if you are doing this now or have done recently and are willing to tell me how.

I've already put days into this trying different methods, I like the modular idea behind TC but only have a wireless internet connection available here with a static ip address and am failing at the first hurdle before even getting started.

I really need simple help and direction .... not hours of study please.

If it's not possible to do it with a simple method then I'll give up and try something else.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
The tc-5.x Team has provided enough insight into udhcpc to test and report back that it is unstable.  Also the same goes for the Broadcom firmware.  I should think this is the forums purpose to IMPROVE what needs to IMPROVE
Totally misleading and incorrect.

Besides not relevant in this thread  :p

Offline Trace

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
If it was relevant I would have needed more specific instruction on how to use it ..... I really need instruction from someone who is doing this now or has done recently.

Thanks for saving me time.

Offline Trace

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »
I've decided to look for something else .... I just don't have the amount of time to put into this that some here do.

It seems to me that TC is more of a specific learning tool than a creative tool and only suitable for use with dhcp.

Offline malikawan

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:16 PM »
I've decided to look for something else .... I just don't have the amount of time to put into this that some here do.

It seems to me that TC is more of a specific learning tool than a creative tool and only suitable for use with dhcp.

Trace link
There is one way if u try
download wifiradar.tcz and disable wifi.tcz then with wifiradar u will setup manually static ip which is working with my pc but you have to config wifi options and wifi driver as wext i think it will help u if getting problem then send me message i will tell u how to configure wifi options