WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: chroot  (Read 3252 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
chroot
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:35:15 AM »
Hello

Your team are very experienced with Linux and i wanted to ask you a question if i may?

There are many apps available now that promise to put a distro, (e.g Debian) right onto
your arm device very quikly and easily using Chroot (methods)

This seems to work very well.

I just wondered if you agree with what i was reading.....which seems to say that a Linux distro
running in Chroot mode is no slower than a proper native install of linux on that same hardware.

It also says that running any tools inside that chroot Linux would be no slower than running
them in a native Linux.

I think this notion applies if the chroot is fully configured and even has the GUI properly arranged for the Linux desktop.

any advice would be appreciated.  I wanted to buy an ARM laptop and alongside it's native OS (android) i wanted to install Linux (using the many apps that perform Chroot Linux installs on android devices)

thanks

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: chroot
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »
When using chroot on tinycore to build the next version of tinycore, compiling seems noticeably slower.

I never tried to quantify "noticeably slower", but perhaps 80% of normal.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:36 AM »
ahhh

i am not really sure what that means

Youtube videos i am watching showing people using Chroot on Samsung chromebooks seems
to result in a working Linux distro that's at native speed. The people seem to comment
that the speed seems identical to running a normal Linux laptop.

I know that the reverse of this is true, for example, when you run "Speedlinux" ontop of windows
you end up with an Ubuntu running ontop of windows 32.  The speed of that seems the same
as a native Linux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v031udlfY5E

That laptop uses a pretty standard arm chip

thax....any thoughts?

V

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:00:19 AM »
these same tools as Crouton.....all exist in the android market free. They do the same thing.

So it seems very easy to get full linux running on any arm device running Android. (from android 2.2 upwards) . It is supposed to be real easy to do.