WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Install piCore on headless pi  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Mithotyn

Install piCore on headless pi
« on: December 18, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
I need my piCore to run out of the box with at least SSH, better with wifi and SSH, cause i have no HDMI screen in reach of a ethernet plug.

Is there a way to preinstall the needed extensions (and configurations) on the SD card?

As far as i discovered, i have to create a separate partition for extensions, copy them into it, create a onboot.lst and add some bootcodes to tell where to find the extensions.

After first boot i can then configure the extensions (inevitably with real keyboard and real screen), take a backup, edit filetool.lst and reboot with configured wifi and/or ssh.

What if i have a real headless pi? Could i also do the configuration "offline" and plug a ready-to-run SD card into the pi?

Thanks in advance!
Joachim

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Install piCore on headless pi
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
You can prepare the SD card offline, using another LINUX machine, practically running TC 5.1 where you have similar environment, but it is not a must. It requires a knowledge of TC setup, configuration, persistence.

This topic comes up time to time, so I'm planning to make image avalable with preinstalled SSH and wired setup. Wireless is more complicated due to many different adapters. Than only one issue left, how to find out the IP address assigned dinamically by your DHCP server to RPi. It rqures some tools or access to your router.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Gerrelt

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
I'm planning to make image avalable with preinstalled SSH and wired setup.

I would welcome that image too! It would save me from claiming the family TV for installing tinycore.  :)
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

Offline beerstein

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »
Hi:
I have a piCore 5.1rc3 setup running on a 2GB SD card. It has a flwm_topside GUI, openssh and several extensions such as mc, pcmanfm, dillo,X11vnc, nmap, samba, mongoose, gparted and some more. Not too many.
If some one could instruct me on how to do an image from that install I would be happy to do it.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question