General TC > Remasters / Remixes - Unofficial

Official TinyCoreLinux CD

(1/1)

Pats:
Is there any chance, that TCL Team may release a official ISO image of a CD with some Browser, and commonly used software with Security Tools built in - for Prestine State environment - in near future, just like Knoppix3.2 version ?
I think if it will be official, then there might be some guaranty of Secure and Prestine environ..
Just a request..

~Pats

Rich:
Hi Pats
This subject has come up before. One of the concepts behind Tinycore is that it is a toolkit for you to
customize as you see fit, installing the packages you prefer. The problem with pre-packaging is which
browser, window manager, etc. do you include? Ask 5 people and you'll get 5 different answers and 4
different people not satisfied with the choices made.

Pats:
I know, it is already discussed a long time ago. I am not an expert abt the subject, but ordinary TCL users like me are not much capable to create a safer and secure operating environ, hence I tried to push this topic.
As far as, difference of opinion abt which Browser or other software to include/exclude in the OTCL CD is concerned, I think, it is best left to the choice of the Core Team Members/ Creators of TCL - hence I mentioned the term - "like Knoppix3.2" -.
The only criteria abt inclusion of SW should be - the CD should be able to work with mimimum of the resourses - like min. 128MB RAM, with equal amt of SWAP etc - which also should be left to the Core Team.
Others savy users and experts my create their own remastered versions - who - anyhow are capable to do so.
Just a thought ..
~Pats

Misalf:
I'm not capable of providing a solution for this, so just my two cents:

Installing iptables plus any browser (and exclude its config folder from the backup list) should result in a pretty save system.

I use Links Browser (no need to exclude anything) in graphics mode (links -g) if I just want to do a quick (super fast) web search or download a file, but I prefer the bloated Firefox (or similar) for fancy stuff that requires Flash and/or Java or if page formating is important on a certain web site.

Those programs the Core developers prefer for themselves really doesn't need to fulfil the users needs.

While it's very nice and easy to have an OS that can, out of the box, be used to do everyday tasks, based on software, choosen by people who know what they're doing, for me, this exactly what pushed me away from other distros because I had to change so much that I didn't want or understand.
Core prevents me from ending up in a rubbish-heap. Some tasks might be tryicky but that isn't necessarily bad for productivity (for me, the opposite is true).

Pats:
Hi Misalf,

<Quote>
Installing iptables plus any browser (and exclude its config folder from the backup list) should result in a pretty save system.
</Quote>

I do the same - NetFilter is in my OnBoot ( I got excellent feedback abt Iptables some yrs back, Courtesy : Curaga ) . And Links is my default browser, but I do not need -g option, as Links in OnDemand aleady load Links in graphics mode.

<Quote>
Those programs the Core developers prefer for themselves really doesn't need to fulfil the users needs..
</Quote>
My observation abt Core Developers - in general - is that, they generally try to reccomend lean and less resource hungry apps like AppBrowser-cli.tcz and mc.tcz etc.. So they may not un-necesserily bloat the CD version with high end apps - if such CD actually materialized, I hope.

By the way, I am little bit confused abt the TinyCore's minimlist OS concept - "Core - Toolkit for Linux, Build it your own way" logo and approach, as slowly but steadily the build size of the ISO is increasing from tc2.x to tc5.x with .tcz and then new introduction of .scm and dropping of .scm ...

If that was not enough, now the new project of dCore - the readymade Debian imports, with tons of MBs or GBs downloads. Well, but - to be frank - very much or too much confused abt the smallest foot-print idea. Definately I must be missing lots of developments in TCL...
That's why I dared to request for an Official TCL CD with commonly used apps.

Hope I have not disturbed anybody's "core concepts" philosophy here.

But lastly, I am still using TCL3.5 - started from TCL2.x - for all of my online/offline computer works, no other M$ or Linux OS, I just can't change my OS now, I am used to it. I do'nt understand why people go on changing or upgrading the system on the slightest of the changes in new releases of any SW/HW, if it does the same job without much of the benefits..

~Pats

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version