WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Forum attachments  (Read 2649 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Forum attachments
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
When clicking on an attachment with a .png or .jpg extension, type appears wrongly as application/octetstream, while name appears as index.php

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Forum attachments
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »
Exactly the same result with text file attachments (incl. scripts).
A requirement of explicitly having to download attachments, renaming their default filename and then opening them in an application is rather inconvenient.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
This may be SMF's only behavior. Can you see what happens in other SMF forums?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm afraid I couldn't, as I don't happen to be subscribed to any other SMF and assuming that accessing attachments would require subscription (as it does here).
 :(

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »
If you have a few hours free, you can always set up a localhost PHP/mariadb server ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »
Haha, and besides from free human resources also the technical resources for such...
 :P

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
Doing some research about SMF bugs, I found quite a lot where firefox would be blamed...
Changing UA in opera 12.16 from "Identify as Firefox" to "Identify as Opera" results in correct default filename and ability to open .png directly in browser, however text files still appear wrongly as application/octetstream and can not be directly displayed in browser.
With elinks 0.11.7 I could display text files, but when trying to pass a .png image to an image viewer, a temporary file with a .php extension is created in /tmp, which can not be used by image viewers relying on filename extensions...